Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've spoke with about 5 people at linksys now, they are all retarded, I figured i'd turn to here for help!

I have 2 802.11G waps, one on one end of the house, and the other on the other end of the house.

They are both the same model, linksys 802.11g waps.

They have the same SSID, and same WEP settings, and different IP addresses.

Yet, they won't talk back and forth to each other. If I have one plugged in, I can't ping the other one, and visa versa.

Anyone sucessfully have a linksys 802.11g wap to talk to another one?

Thanks!

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
It would help if you specified which model of WAP you have! Also, you need to have them in AD-HOC mode to do what you are trying to do, if they're in INFRASTRUCTURE mode, they will not connect.

I'd also disable WEP until you get them playing without it, then add it in. I'd say that 75% of the issue I solve with wireless LANs are related to incorrect setup of WEP, even though I don't understand why. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnwill said:
It would help if you specified which model of WAP you have! Also, you need to have them in AD-HOC mode to do what you are trying to do, if they're in INFRASTRUCTURE mode, they will not connect.

I'd also disable WEP until you get them playing without it, then add it in. I'd say that 75% of the issue I solve with wireless LANs are related to incorrect setup of WEP, even though I don't understand why. :)
Hrm... it's currently set to infrastructure mode, i'll try changing my machines to ad-hoc. I'll post the results.

Tyler

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... I decided to go exchange Linksys's WAP54G and got a netgear one, and it gave me the same problems.. So I call Netgear, and they told me that it's not possible to have a stand-alone WAP to talk to another standalone WAP.

They have to have a cable that connects the 2.

I thought this was WIRELESS.

*Frustrated*

Tyler

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
johnwill said:
You're buying the wrong equipment. Look at the D-Link DWL-900AP+ and read the part about the BRIDGE[/i] connection mode.

If LinkSys doesn't know this is possible, you're also talking to the wrong people. :D

Well, Linksys was blaming it on my DNS :winkgrin:

That link you gave me is for the 802.11b, I have g ... but, i'll look around.

Thanks for your help.

-t

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, my point is that it's possible to do what you are talking about with wireless technology. If they have the capability with the 802.11b products, it's pretty hard to believe they wouldn't include it in the 802.11g stuff. Take the D-Link DWL-2000AP for instance, it's a similar product in 802.11g. I did figure that you'd get the idea and look at the product offerings, knowing that it's possible to so what you are looking for. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.