Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.....i recently went back to using ICS using my pc as the host after having nothing but trouble with 2 linksys routers.

I am connected directly to my cable modem and 2 other pc's are connected to my lan using an old 16 port hub.

As i am writing this, my connection is like dial up.....all because of 1 of the other pc's is downloading stuff and hogging bandwidth.

Is it possible to set a limit of how much bandwidth the 2 networked pc's can use? We have a 4mb ntl connection so really we should all be able to use at least 1mb of the bandwidth comfortably.

Thanks for any help.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
Well, ICS will cause some issue. What "trouble" did you have with Linksys routers? I've used SMC, D-Link, ZyXEL, and now the Verizon supplied Actiontec with my FiOS service. They've all worked pretty much invisibly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both linksys routers i had did different things, the 1st one would be fine for 2-3 days then lock up or lose connection....i would have to reset my modem and/or router every few days.The 2nd one would lose connection every 3-5 mins.....only for a few seconds but enough to give me sync errors in online games and to lose my downloads.
I tried for months trawling through forums to fix my problems to no avail, but came to realise there were many many people with problems with linksys and apparently as they get old they had faulty capacitors.
I am contemplating getting a new router of another make, im just a little unsure about it, the other people didnt really play games in my house so they didnt notice a problem, but as soon as i bypassed my router i would get blazing fast perfect /stable connections.
Thanks for the replies....that bandwidth manager program looks good, but im looking for something free....it leads me to believe that its sommething you can do yourself in the registry though.

Lastly, any recommendations on a brand of router that i can use with NTL?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
I can assure you that there are no registry entries that will control bandwidth, so you can stop that search. :smile:

Truthfully, I normally recommend any of the brand name routers. Obviously, if you've had major issues with Linksys, that would be out. I'd look for another brand and see if they have QoS capability on any of their products. I have an Actiontec MI424-WR that has QoS capability, FWIW.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmmmmmm..........basically, when one of the client pc's downstairs is downloading using limewire, my pc (host) has a connection worse than dial up, i cant play online games, or do anything really.
I never remember it being this bad when i used to do it.
Is there something im missing? i use the wizard with all default settings to create my network.

I think i might just burn my computer as ever since iv'e had one they cause me nothing but stress.....all i want to do is play war online!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.