Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
recently I bought my first laptop - an Acer Aspire 5310 on a special cashback offer hard to go past pre-loaded with Vista home.

But this thing has a life of it's own - it doesn't need my input, it has a seemingly full time job just looking after itself!! I turned off the Symantec trial and Windows Updates but it still takes forever to do anything.

If I want to open control panel, allow 30 seconds before I see a window. Same to open IE.

Its got all this Acer empowering stuff going on in the background maybe that needs to go.

Also if I run it on batteries to cycle these then plug in the power when it's low, it logs off ???

Text fields lose the mouse so are really hard to edit as the cursor can reappear almost anywhere... Arrggh.:upset:

Soooo slow and tedious to do anything. My old 800PC/10Mb is miles nicer than this 1.6 M/80Gb laptop.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK how's about 1 question at a time.

In the normal running of a laptop the battery should be cycled from fully charged to low then recharged. So using it at home on battery from fully charged to low and then plugging it in at the first beep shouldn't log you off the internet and off the computer should it? Or is this Vista in all it's glory.

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
how much ram do you have on it? IMO, If you do not have 2 gigs you do not have enough. If you purchased it with minimum memory, then you do not have enough since you share ram with video.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well it only came with 512Mb !! I presume it'll have 2 slots so can I buy a 1MB - that triples it, rather than waste what it came with.?

Guess I better go RAM shopping.

So should it log off when the power's plugged in?

Next Q: How to get the cursor to show in the text field (for ease of editing)? It's OK on this Forum but with Vista and Hotmail Live it's nigh impossible to edit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.