Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Thank you for your response.
Yes, and the Device Manager recognizes it, however the device itself, sounds like it is spinning up to start and then stops and does this repeatedly. It would be nice to get it running. I will keep researching. Not even sure that it would run on Windows10. Thanks again... will post if I find out anything good.
Rectangle Font Operating system Screenshot Electronic device

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,435 Posts
Since it works with USB 3.0 and LG says Windows 7 or higher, there must be something for Windows 10.

Reactions: elysa

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, thanks. Sounds encouraging. I will get a new blank DVD to try in it. And see what comes of it.
As for there being some kind of driver for it, i didn't see any drivers for this device on LG's site. What that means, I'm not sure, but if I keep looking maybe I can find a driver that will support it.
Really appreciate your feedback!

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
There are no drivers for USB devices like CD/DVD Burners, they are provided by the Windows OS.
First try a commercial DVD movie and see if that plays. If that works, then you know the drive is working. Some drives are finicky about what brand of blank DVD you use. Use only name brand media, if you find one brand that works well, stick with that.
You can also upgrade the firmware of the drive which will allow more manufacturers blank media to be recognized HL-DT-ST GE24NU30 resources and drivers

·
31,435 Posts
If you run Speccy or similar, all the DVD types your drive runs are listed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, great information. This is so helpful, and also seeing some practical consequences of the opportunities hackers leverage for further access into systems.
Attached is a security warning pop-up indicating the driver I attempted to install, is an opportunity for a back door into a my system.
With a lot of older hardware, is the legacy software, and this may be why LG is no longer supporting this model on their site.
I have to read it a little closer. This is getting deeper.
At the bottom of MicroSoft page image, they suggest there can be alternatives that are safer. So I will evaluate my driver options.
I appreciate that I can explore this with your support, anything I decide is on my me. It is my goal to better understand these systems. So thanks, and I will keep you posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, I have tried to run a DVD off the drive, It begins spinning up, stops and repeats endlessly. So I will see what comes. As I have not purchased the blanks yet, I appreciate your suggestion of brands.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ oscer1
I so I get your point that the driver is installed already, and may therefore don't need to install a driver.
I am still learning and exploring the options available when adding older hardware to newer systems.
So its good to know when you have an operational issue, to explore that which is not working, and not change that which indicates its up and running.
Thanks!

·
Moderator Hardware Team
14,214 Posts
Also, I have tried to run a DVD off the drive, It begins spinning up, stops and repeats endlessly. So I will see what comes. As I have not purchased the blanks yet, I appreciate your suggestion of brands.
Thanks.
I would not waste any money on disks until you can get a dvd to play from the drive. I would even try a music cd and see it that will work. Is the drive listed in file explorer when you put a cd or dvd in drive

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
There are no drivers for USB devices like CD/DVD Burners, they are provided by the Windows OS.
Again, there are no drivers required for USB Mass Storage Devices, like External USB DVD drives. The Window OS provides it.
Put the drive on another computer and try to play a DVD Movie. If it doesn't play, it is not the computer or the driver, it is the DVD Players laser that is failing and the drive needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My experience with LG external optical drives is, unfortunately, that they are garbage and will fail very soon. I bought one last fall and it read five blue-ray discs before dying. Now, it won't read anything, blue-ray, DVD, CD--nothing. It shows up in device manager but that's all. I have heard that the lasers used in these types of drives are very fragile and prone to fail. My two cents.

BC

·
31,435 Posts
And mine has run flawlessly for 7 years. Anecdotal experiences are not a substitute for real data studies. Neither of us might be typical.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts