Tech Support Forum banner

Leaky radiator

975 Views 19 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Wrench97
The plastic header on my radiator has a small crack. Any suggestions as to how to fix the leak short of replacing the radiator?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
JBWeld.
Tried it. Doesn't provide a permanent fix. Too much pressure I guess.
Hmm.... if that didn't work only other idea I have is plastic welding/soldering.
The also make a plastic-specific 2 part epoxy that you might try. I don't recall the exact brand and name but I got it at a local Home Depot or auto parts house. You could cut a small section of 1/16" ABS to use as a "patch" and fasten it down with this stuff. If the area is near a seam or otherwise no room for a patch just try the stuff straight. It is pretty tenacious and seems to bond plastic very well.
Hmm.... if that didn't work only other idea I have is plastic welding/soldering.
I didn't know there was such a thing.
The also make a plastic-specific 2 part epoxy that you might try. I don't recall the exact brand and name but I got it at a local Home Depot or auto parts house. You could cut a small section of 1/16" ABS to use as a "patch" and fasten it down with this stuff. If the area is near a seam or otherwise no room for a patch just try the stuff straight. It is pretty tenacious and seems to bond plastic very well.
What exactly is "ABS"?

I just got back from the Pep Boys and I bought a bottle of Bar's Heavy Duty Stop Leak. I'm gonna give it a go. The website claims that it's equally effective on plastic. Well, we'll see.
ABS is a type of tough flexible plastic. You can get it in sheets of varying thickness and cut to fit. I'd try that with the plastic epoxy (or epoxy alone) before putting in stop leak. That stuff will gunk your system up and probably won't fix the leak.
Where is the crack? In a open area of the tank, around the neck where the hose goes, or near the flange where it locks into the radiator core?
Right along the top header. Going longways. Maybe 3" long.
ABS is a type of tough flexible plastic. You can get it in sheets of varying thickness and cut to fit. I'd try that with the plastic epoxy (or epoxy alone) before putting in stop leak. That stuff will gunk your system up and probably won't fix the leak.
What sort of places carry ABS?
Try a Hobby supply store.
Does it have a brand name or anything that might sound familiar to a hobby store employee?
Does it have a brand name or anything that might sound familiar to a hobby store employee?
Evergreen - got a stock of it for scratchbuilding!
Evergreen, eh? And thanks for the link. Mucho appreciado.
I would have thought JB Weld would have worked well. Did you probably prepare the surface ?

BG
Me thinks so. It just couldn't handle the pressure.

I just bought me a tube of Loctite Extreme Repair. It's good for temps up to 275 degrees F. That's well within the range. I didn't bother with the ABS. I just slathered the glue right on the crack. Supposed to be really tough stuff. It sets in an hour but I'm going to let it sit overnight anyway.
If its a GM radiator repair shops will replace just the tank for about $150

if your wanting to plug it Marian Tex will do the job you can get it at a boat shop ... it will stick anything together ... A employ of mine had bought a car and the block busted wide open the crack was big enough to put your finger in and about 8 in long ... put some marian tex on it and his wife drove it for over a year before he sold the car

its not cheap
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.