Tech Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Global Moderator
51,346 Posts
Alcohol does attack some plastics, so I'd be pretty cautious about using it on your screens. Also, you don't want anything running down and going behind the bezel, that's frequently bad news!

Reactions: ShangWang

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Alcohol does attack some plastics, so I'd be pretty cautious about using it on your screens. Also, you don't want anything running down and going behind the bezel, that's frequently bad news!
Would you recommend mixing a solution of half water and half distilled vinegar as a cheaper solution?

·
Global Moderator
51,346 Posts
Actually, I stay away from anything acidic, vinegar will corrode things if it gets behind the screen. Like I said, I use plain water on a soft cloth. You aren't doing your dirty laundry here, you're just cleaning off presumably mild contamination from your LCD screen. ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Actually, I stay away from anything acidic, vinegar will corrode things if it gets behind the screen. Like I said, I use plain water on a soft cloth. You aren't doing your dirty laundry here, you're just cleaning off presumably mild contamination from your LCD screen. ;)
Yep, I am using water right now too but it seems some spots do not wash off so I'm thinking vinegar might work if I make a diluted vinegar solution, but if you advise against it completely I will just live with it I guess haha.

·
Global Moderator
51,346 Posts
Whatever you use, make sure it doesn't get behind the bezel! Vinegar won't hurt the plastic, but if it runs behind and gets on the LCD contacts, all gets are off! :eek:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Whatever you use, make sure it doesn't get behind the bezel! Vinegar won't hurt the plastic, but if it runs behind and gets on the LCD contacts, all gets are off! :eek:
Thank you! I don't think it's worth the risk then, the stain is only visible under direct light. In general is it safe to ignore these stains on LCD screens and don't cause any damage long term?

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,383 Posts
Daft as it may sound, spit can sometimes be more effective than water, since it contains all sorts of enzymes that can act on some stains.

That does not mean that you should gob on your screen of course, but if you dampen the tip a soft cloth with your saliva then you can apply it direct to the stained area.

·
Global Moderator
51,346 Posts
Daft as it may sound, spit can sometimes be more effective than water, since it contains all sorts of enzymes that can act on some stains.
Yep, used that one more than once. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yep, used that one more than once. :D
Thanks, it looks like my LCD screen slightly moves backward if I apply a bit too much force on the bottom of the screen.

I turned on my laptop and it works completely fine with no dead pixels however. Is this normal?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,857 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yep. If the bezel were too tight against the plastic LCD, it would create an indentation all the way around the screen.
I see, I remember LCD seems to only move if I apply the same pressure again. It's back in normal position right now.

As long as it works should I just stop worrying and move on?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ummm, I'm not sure. Wouldn't that interrupt your race toward greying hair and wrinkles? ;)
Hi again one last thing I'd like to ask again is if it's generally ok to have some dust and streaks left on my laptop after cleaning.

The microfiber cloth I'm using seems to not be the best quality and leaves some dust and I don't feel the need to buy a new one but it does a good enough job on the surface.

Other than visibility there's no real harm to a bit of dust and marks?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,857 Posts
You haven't had, or been around little kids and pets have you? How about things like peanut butter, cracker crumbs, snot and who knows what else, smeared all over everything. Yes, even on all electronic devices. And, they still somehow keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all,

I was using a wet microfiber cloth to wipe off some grime that wouldn't get off with a simple dusting, and was a bit worried about water damage.

The screen got wet but quickly dried in a few seconds. Is it bad to let water evaporate on the screen? The water wasn't dripping or anything.

Can anyone give a proper procedure to safely and efficiently wipe off grime from the screen?
I use a micro fiber cloth dunked in warm water and squeezed out until as dry as possible Make sure you system is turned off and unplugged and use gentle rubbing motion to clean and dry your screen and key boards, I have been doing this for years with out a problem

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,609 Posts
For those still using a CRT monitor or TV Windex works.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Never use alcohol or Windex-type cleaners on a "soft" LCD surface. DRY paper towel will scratch the coating on the screen. WET paper towel cannot scratch the coating on the screen-never-the-less, wet paper towel will shed little bits as it is used so not great for screens. Spots that don't come off easily can be loosened by holding the damp cloth on the spot and moving the cloth around just a little. As the spot collects a little moisture from the cloth it should soften enough to come off without rubbing. Wipe-ing the screen is fine... rubbing the screen with anything should be avoided at all costs. Cleaners for eyeglasses work fine as those have to be formulated to be safe with plastic lenses that can have tints and coatings. Microfiber cloths intended for cleaning glasses are also good to use on monitor screens as the fibers are likely finer than the fibers in typical general use microfiber cloths you get in a big $15-$20 "bundle" of wash-cloth-like microfiber cloths at Walmart. Cleaners for TV screens are also fine to use on monitors. Plain water works well for most cleaning needs though. If you want to be obsessive about cleaning, use a NEW microfiber cloth with DISTILLED water. No minerals or salts will be present in the distilled water. But tap water is typically not problematic. Seeing moisture evaporate off the screen is FINE, no issue. You just don't want water or cleaner dripping or running down the screen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've always used isopropyl alcohol on TV's and monitors.
Never had a scratch, never had pixel damage.
Using soft cloths, like even new untainted face washers, and microfiber.
The trick is to never rub hard. If you have any gunk hold the cloth underneath the spot and drench in isopropyl alcohol until it softens.
Isopropyl alcohol evaporates quickly so there's never an issue with it running down the screen to end up underneath the bezel, where the circuit board normally is.
Use the isopropyl alcohol and never rub hard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You haven't had, or been around little kids and pets have you? How about things like peanut butter, cracker crumbs, snot and who knows what else, smeared all over everything. Yes, even on all electronic devices. And, they still somehow keep on keeping on.
I remember years ago a TV tech telling me that they had a unit bought to them that had died.
Upon opening it up they found the bottom of the circuit board was wet and corroded.
Seems their child decided if he didn't like the show on the TV he would urinate on it!
Also heard back in the day of a child stuffing a VCR by putting sandwiches in the slot. Apparently if she was hungry, so was the VCR.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,383 Posts
I used to work for Sony when I was younger, and repaired loads of VCRs, and you'd be surprised at the number and variety of items that got "posted" into them by small children.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts