Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was using a wet microfiber cloth to wipe off some grime that wouldn't get off with a simple dusting, and was a bit worried about water damage.

The screen got wet but quickly dried in a few seconds. Is it bad to let water evaporate on the screen? The water wasn't dripping or anything.

Can anyone give a proper procedure to safely and efficiently wipe off grime from the screen?

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,359 Posts
I always use a clean damp (and I do mean damp not wet) soft chamois leather, using gentle circular movements and applying almost no pressure.

I dampen it with nothing more than tap water, then squeeze it out till it's almost but not quite dry.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,560 Posts
I have a "kit" with a prickly device for dusting, a microfiber cloth and a solution that's sprayed on the cloth but not directly on the screen.

Reactions: ShangWang

·
Global Moderator
51,294 Posts
NEVER use any kind of paper product on the screen, it'll scratch the screen!

I typically use plain water on a soft rag like old T-shirt material. I wring it out thoroughly so it's only damp.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NEVER use any kind of paper product on the screen, it'll scratch the screen!

I typically use plain water on a soft rag like old T-shirt material. I wring it out thoroughly so it's only damp.
Thanks, I have used a moist paper cloth and did a single wipe by accident. I don't see any defects visible so does that mean I did not do enough wiping to cause damage?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,560 Posts
Can't tell if pixels damaged without seeing. You're the judge.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't tell if pixels damaged without seeing. You're the judge.
Ok, generally I think I'm good, I just thought that using any paper product would guarantee scratches but I guess if you were careful the first time then no damage is sustained probably.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use a similar kit for cleaning all my flat panel displays and any laptop someone gives me to inspect. Good for removing fingerprints/smudges and other residue without damaging or removing the display's protective coating.
Do you know if letting solutions/water evaporate on the screen is bad?

I am using a "damp" microfiber cloth which is almost dry but it will always leave some wet marks and evaporates fairly quickly.

I noticed some particles are left on screen after I wipe with the microfiber with minimal pressure, is this normal?

·
Global Moderator
51,294 Posts
Paper doesn't automatically make it certain to damage the screen, however paper can and will damage LCD screens or plastic lens in glasses. I've seen it a number of times on flat screen monitors and TV's. My daughter was using paper towels to clean her glasses, and she wrecked them and had to get new lenses.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paper doesn't automatically make it certain to damage the screen, however paper can and will damage LCD screens or plastic lens in glasses. I've seen it a number of times on flat screen monitors and TV's. My daughter was using paper towels to clean her glasses, and she wrecked them and had to get new lenses.
I see, I think some dust or pieces of fiber was leftover after I wiped the screen, is this normal for microfiber to leave particles after wiping and is it ok?

·
Global Moderator
51,294 Posts
Probably depends on the quality of the microfiber material if it leaves chunks behind. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So if it was alcohol and not water, should there be any damage?
I used alcohol in the past by mistake before, I did not notice any pixel damage but I don't know about liquids evaporating on screens being ok in general and what kind of damage it does so I have no idea but I'd like to know if anyone can say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used alcohol in the past by mistake before, I did not notice any pixel damage but I don't know about liquids evaporating on screens being ok in general and what kind of damage it does so I have no idea but I'd like to know if anyone can say.
I think that if there is no mechanical damage, then according to the idea there should be no damage. From alcohol

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,802 Posts
After wiping a LCD screen with a slightly damp microfiber cloth, I cannot see how the rapid evaporation of water you see would damage the protective surface of the screen. Filthy fingerprints, probably. Evaporating dampness, no.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts