Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! :wave:

I am having some problems with my VAIO PCG-K25 lcd. :sigh: Yesterday, as I turned it on (it was in stand-by), my lcd started flashing for a couple of minutes. It stopped eventually and everything was fine. This morning, though, as I turned on my laptop, the screen was entirely black until I moved towards me and all of a sudden the screen was fine.
I have read some stuff about this and it seems to me that there might be something wrong with either the inverter or the backlight. Am I right? How can you tell the difference? Oh, I forgot to say that I have noticed lately that the LCD is just not as bright as it used to be.
Now, the warranty is not good anymore; I suspect they will charge a fortune to replace this. Is there any way for me to figure out what's wrong and replace it myself?:4-dontkno I really DO NOT want to get another one (I love this one! :heartlove ). Also, how long do I have before it goes completely black--in other words, should I start backing-up?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like a classic case of burnt out inverter problem.
But someone of higher knowledge should verify this before you take any action.

-BeastlyKings

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Try an external monitor. If it works fine, then it is likley a problem with the LCD. Have you tried using the Fn key combinations to adjust the display brightness? That might be why it is dimmer, sometimes you accidentallly lower the brightness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first off, thanx for replying.:smile:

my lcd is working fine at the moment. i haven't had any problems with it since yesterday. so, connecting it to an external monitor won't tell me anything, right? i just fear that the problems i had yesterday and the day before are just a warning for what is to come.:upset:
i guess, i will just have to wait and see...:4-dontkno

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Sometimes monitors can act "funky". If the dimming of the screen is not a result of pressing the Fn key combinations and it is gradually getting dimmer, then it could very well be a failing backlight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, the brightness is at its maximum. that's the first thing i tried.:wink: like, i said, it's working good today. will just have to see what tomorrow brings. :laugh: thanx for all the help!:pray:

·
Registered
54 Posts
If it is a problem with the inverter and backlight then the issue is that only Sony and their authorized repair centers have access to new inverter/backlight kits. There is information about repairing it yourself on the internet and it does not look too difficult but getting the parts is another thing.

Not the way I would go personally, but you can sometimes pick up the pieces on Ebay. Buyer beware....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello again!:wave:

well, really weird things are happening. Yesterdays as well as today, when I turned on the laptop the screen was entirely black. If I look really closely, I can vaguely see what's on the screen. BUT, if I tilt the screen all the way back (make it horizontal), then tilt it towards me, the screen turns on and works fine. So, any suggestions? I mean, this is really insane!:4-dontkno

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am not sure, but it sounds like a loose connection where the backlight and the inverter connect. You might want to take a look at this website
Code:
http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_8.htm
The author describes how to pull apart your screen and replace the back light. Maybe you could find a faulty connection.

This happened on my wife's computer not that long ago. Maybe this is a week point on the Vaio series.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will get someone to look into that. i don't think i should attempt it!:4-thatsba
thanx!:smile:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Understood. I get a little intimidated myself. I think the main thing is you can do it. Just go slow and make sure you find all the screws that hold the bezel in place.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.