Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ViewSonic Q20wb 20" widescreen monitor that is unfortunately six months out of warranty. I use it for both my desktop (using DVI) and my laptop (using VGA).

A couple of nights ago I was using it on VGA when all of a sudden the entire screen got a deep green hue to it. I wiggled the cable on both ends and it didn't change; I tried a different one and it still happened. I tried connecting the laptop to a different VGA monitor and it worked fine. I then connected the monitor to my desktop with DVI, and that worked fine as well.

(yeah, I do work in tech support... why do you ask? :smile:)

so anyway, it's definitely the VGA input on the monitor. Does anyone know how I could fix this? Since I am already out of warranty, I am willing to open this thing up and do some "warranty-violating" operation if that will fix it. I have some circuit board/soldering experience so I can probably find my way around if I know what to look for.

Any ideas?

· Premium Member
12,471 Posts
Only advice I can give you from my own experienec with VGA monitors .. is look for swollen capacitors and change them .. most likely found on Power supply board. Anything you fiond wrong will need to be replaced with a LOW ESR 105oC capacitor of the same power rating and value .. if you can't find the same voltage or value then get whatever you can that is the next size greater than what is required, (ie 16V >>> 25V , 1500uF >>> 1800uF)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.