Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People,

About to buy a new PC; & had my hopes up for including a 19" LCD Monitor. Along comes an article in PC World that suggests LCD's do not have the quality display resolution capabilities of a CRT, when it comes to working with image editing & graphic illustration apps.

I do quite a bit of work in Adobe Photoshop & Adobe Illustrator; & now I'm concerned, because, of course, what you see on the screen effects decisions made on your work.

So my question is: Is this true? And is the difference in display detail negligible or astronomical?

Thanks in advance,

mark4man

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I myself have had no experience with LCD screens other than my laptop, but I will say I hear that many graphic designers can tell the difference and prefer a CRT to a LCD screen.

·
Global Moderator
51,343 Posts
I think some of the subtle colors aren't displayed as well on the LCD screens, it depends on the kind of work you do I would imagine.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have heard the same thing - gamers and graphics people like CRT's better than LCD or TFT.

Also bear in mind, in the graphics and gaming world - bigger is better. You can get a HECK of a HUGE flat screen (tube not flat panel - meaning minimal curvature) for the same price as a 19"or 21"flat panel monitor.

Of course, tube monitors are HUGE but hey ... ;)

·
hey
10,189 Posts
CRT Flat screens are the way to go for graphics and games. But I do love my LCD screen. Don't play many games though.

·
Global Moderator
51,343 Posts
Games are easy to understand, flat screens don't handle rapid motion nearly as well as the CRT, lots of smearing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone...

Thanks.

Good points all around, especially relating to color display & rapid motion. Looks like I'll go with a 21" Flat Screen CRT.

Thanks again,

mark4man

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.