Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY Sony LCD monitor has all of a sudden started to periodically display almost a matrix effect style. I cant use the computer when this happens as it is the whole screen that succumbs to this effect. It is like a media player visualisation. as nice as it sounds - my monitor or graphics card may be broken and neither are old at all.

has anyone seen this before?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
does the computer freeze when this happens or does everything except the monitor's picture continue normally?

if the computer freezes, then it is probably the video card at fault and not the monitor.

Also, I just noticed you posted this topic in a different forum. I'd suggest you keep it in one forum or else it will make things confusing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I notice that i see the mouse cursor does not move etc.
However pressing control alt del etc to try and logoff/restart or pushing the computer power switch does work.

So in answer the computer does not freeze but the visual does.

Ok - I joined today so will keep it to this forum.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Ok, the next step in troubleshooting this would be to find a monitor you can use to test to make sure it's not the video card. If you don't experience the graphics flaw on a different monitor then it is the LCD monitor at fault.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm afraid its not that simple. I have another full PC to test this on and swapping monitors between them showed that there was nothing wrong with either monitor or graphics card. However after the test, just randomly maybe 4 hours later, it happened again.

My graphics card is dual output so I have put the 2nd monitor on at the same time and at the moment all I can do is wait until it happens again and see if both monitors do it or just the one.

Unfortunately it is a Sony LCD which is out of warranty, if not by far.

Was just wondering what people thought. Another thing, I would find it difficult to prove that it was faulty if I were to try for an RMA...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.