Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a 17" CRT Monitor. Bought a BenQ 19" TFT LCD Monitor.Specs are:Res 1280 x 1024. Pixel 0.294. Colours 16.2 million. Horizontal 31 to 81 Htz. Vert 56 to 76. Response 8ms.
Connected BenQ up with a proper (gold plated DVi cable) and using a Nvidia 256 ram video card.
Set Monitor to 1280 x 1024 as recommended.
Find that I do not like the screen view. Have messed around with different settings Fonts etc. Tried Text size Medium, and tried changing Encoding, from Western European(Windows) and Western European (ISO).Fade Effect,Standard. DPi of normal size(96 DPi).
The edges of letters are in my description furry and large screen objects also tend to be the same on the edges.
Have also tried to change the brightness/contrast but nothing appeared to my liking.
Is there a fundamental difference between LCD and CRT monitors that would account for my finding the 'change' not suitable for me.
I have found in the past that I am very sensitive to Refresh Rates and use a minimum of 75Hertz.
Is there any things to try to get the LCD more like a CRT monitor. Have looked at a Laptop of about 15" and find that to be more or less OK.
Is there the possibilty that a 19" LCD is the problem, purely size related.
Any advice appreciated. Maybe Santa would take it back!!!!!

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
You can't think about refresh rates on an LCD like you would with a CRT- the physics are entirely different.

Try going to display properties -> Appearance -> Effects and unchecking the fonts smoothing box. This might help with the one problem.

Other than that, just try toying with the contrast/brightness and color temperature settings on the screen itself to see if they make any difference.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Comments noted. Will try as you have advised. Regarding the Colour(sic) temperature will have to find that out.
Thanks for your tips. Appreciated.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
As said refresh rates shouldn't come into it with LCD, I recommend those with LCD use a refresh rate of 60mhz unless there is a reason they can't, and CRT users should use the highest setting available to them with the ideal minimum being 75mhz.

Now the picture is a very personal thing, assuming there is no fault on the new unit I don't see it being a problem, one possibility is that you have spent so long with what your used to there may be an adjustment curve required, LCD are certainly a shaper cleaner picture compared and have never seen anyone disappointed before personally.

Suggestions to try are have you installed the latest driver from the manufacturer ? >>>Available Drivers<<< as you didn't say which model you had.

You can also try clicking on Start - Control Panel and double click on System near the bottom, then click on the Advanced tab and under that you will see the top section is Performance, click on the Settings button within that top section and uncheck every box except the last 3 boxes and apply\OK your way back out closing windows as you go, you could always note down your original settings first incase you don't like what you see after, but it should speed things up a bit, you can always revert them if you note them down first if your not happy.

And lastly have a look in your control panel for Clear Type Tuning, if you see this double click on i and run the wizard, it will sharpen up the view for you by you selecting the clearest settings to your eyes, I believe >>>This<<< is an online way of doing it, otherwise you can download the power tools to install it on your pc if you need it, see if any of this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.