Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GIGO
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I googled the issue and found that this could mean my system reserved partition is full and indeed that is what I found. My C: drive is a 500 GB SSD but the system partition is only 100 MB of which only 3 MB is free.

MS web page has a long convoluted command line "fix" for this (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086249) but I was wondering why I couldn't just "shrink" the main C: drive partition and then "extend" the system partition using diskmgmt.msc.

Or is there a better way?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hello Ray Lo,

Yes, potentially you can do this... But I would suggest backup of your SSD, before you try to do anything as such... WRT shrinking and moving partitions! Just in case! :uhoh:

One extra step enforcing security does no hurt, does it? :whistling:

_nobody_

·
GIGO
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, this didn't work. I was easily able to shrink the C: partition but the "extend partition" menu selection on the 100 MB system reserved was grayed out, even though I had created 250 MB unallocated space.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey Ray Lo,

Not so fast... Please! :whistling:

You could not move your system partition since it is in use, OK? It _MUST_ not to be in use, to be extended. :thumb:

Here is how you'll get this solved. Please, go to GParted -- Download And download Linux Live Gparted .iso (to make one USB bootable Linux Live Gparted), depending what bit version (32 or 64) your BIOS is (the same bit version you _MUST_ use for Gparted). Then boot from USB, then re-size/widen your C: system partition (since it'll be not in use/It'll be inactive).

WARNING! Once again, please, please, back-up/copy your entire C: SSD, before you'll do what I have suggested! :grin:

Please, report the results here. :angel:

Thank you,
_nobody_

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,584 Posts
Well, this didn't work. I was easily able to shrink the C: partition but the "extend partition" menu selection on the 100 MB system reserved was grayed out, even though I had created 250 MB unallocated space.
Shrinking C would create unallocated space AFTER it and not before it. You can extend system reserved (or any other partition) only if unallocated space follows it, but not before it or if another partition exists right after it. You basically want the unallocated space immediately after the system reserved partition, to be able to extend it.

Disk Management is limited in functionality and won't let you move partitions. You are better off using a more advanced partition manager. I recommend EaseUS Partition Master (home edition is free), but before I give any directions on how to go about extending your system reserved, let's have a look at your disk mgmt screen showing the number, order, size and other details of your partitions, or simply tell us if there's any other partition between system reserved and C.

·
GIGO
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only partitions are 100 MB System and the main C: taking up the rest of the 500 GB.

·
GIGO
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I downloaded EaseUS and it worked like a charm to create the unallocated space adjacent to the system partition then extend that partition into the space. Windows 10 update is in progress so it looks like that was the issue. BTW, looks like this must be a major Win10 update. Very large download in progress.... I wonder when my laptop will get it.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,584 Posts
I downloaded EaseUS and it worked like a charm to create the unallocated space adjacent to the system partition then extend that partition into the space. Windows 10 update is in progress so it looks like that was the issue. BTW, looks like this must be a major Win10 update. Very large download in progress.... I wonder when my laptop will get it.
Good to know :beerchug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.