Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 1999 Dell Dimension V-400 last Tuesday in the trash. Everything was complete, installed and works well. It has a Pentium II, 400 MHz processor. It's currently running Windows 98 with 384 MBs of RAM.

What is the most modern OS that will run well on this machine? Will it run Windows 7 or 8.1? What other considerations should I take into account?

I know it won't preform like a modern machine, but it reminds me of my first experience with computers and I'd like to keep it for nostalgic reasons.

Attachments

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,468 Posts
It will run Windows XP. Beyond that, it's how much patience do you have.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,463 Posts
This reminds me of my very fist compute.....I still have it. I think I might dig it out and fire it up.

It's a HP that came with Window Me.....and a CRT monitor.

·
Moderator , Security Team
786 Posts
Linux Mint Cinnamon is probably the closest to a Windows Desktop I've come across.

As far as running on a Pentium II goes, I'd recommend using one of the lighter Linux distros like Linux Lite, Lubunto, Xubuntu, or Puppy.

Puppy runs from memory, so generally gives reasonable performance even with an old processor.

The main problem with Puppy is that IMO installing programs is not as User friendly as it is in the Ubuntu derived distros.

·
Moderator , Security Team
786 Posts
Programs in Linux are generally downloaded and installed from that distros file repository. Programs from the repository have been tested to ensure that they will run without issue on the distro concerned.

Puppy is no different in this regard, so to install Firefox on Puppy you should follow the example described in the following article ... https://www.linuxbabe.com/desktop-linux/install-firefox-tahrpup-puppy-linux ... there may be some differences when using different versions of Puppy, but essentially the process will be very similar.

As far as Malwarebytes goes ..... it is not generally necessary to install an anti-virus or anti-malware program when using Linux, as Linux is not targeted in the same way that Windows is. There are a number of reasons for this, and I can go into what they are if you wish.

In any case, as far as I'm aware, there is no Malwarebytes version for Linux anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Found a 1999 Dell Dimension V-400 last Tuesday in the trash. Everything was complete, installed and works well. It has a Pentium II, 400 MHz processor. It's currently running Windows 98 with 384 MBs of RAM.

What is the most modern OS that will run well on this machine? Will it run Windows 7 or 8.1? What other considerations should I take into account?

I know it won't preform like a modern machine, but it reminds me of my first experience with computers and I'd like to keep it for nostalgic reasons.

My first rebuild started with something of this vintage. It was so exciting! Does yours have Ethernet? I remember most had a modem card for dialup. I remember building my first DSL machine. These were XP machines after the rebuild. I wouldn't know what to do with one in original vintage. The 384 MB memory was just funny!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
i actually found a ZEOS Pantera in my garage the other day. research shows it to be about '95, with a whopping 1mb of dram. maybe i take and shove a linux distro on it just for fun. don't think there's much practical i can do with it.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
6,728 Posts
Zorin OS, (which is built on open source Ubuntu Linux), has an Appearance app lets you change the desktop to resemble the environment you're familiar with, whether it's Windows, macOS or Linux.

The Lite edition runs well on older computers.

You can use Wine to run many Windows apps on it.

Install Zorin OS alongside Windows or macOS, and choose which OS to use at boot-up.

"From a full Microsoft Office-compatible office suite to professional photo editing software, Zorin OS comes with powerful apps out of the box. Countless more apps and games are available from the Software store and Steam."

https://zorinos.com/

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But the zorinos OS only assists Windows OSs? If I'm running Puppy will zorinos improve performance? Remember, we've determined that any Windows system running on a Pentium II CPU won't be functional online.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm curious. Are you guys really talking about trying to use a dinosaur, 15, 20 year old technology? What would you do with it? I mean, even the games we used to play on those things aren't available. And no serious software is gonna run on them. Put a flower pot on them things, and call it a day!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some folks are interested in computer history and restoring older equipment to operate in a modern environment. There are entire online sites devoted to the refurbishment of vintage computing devices. I'm a member of the very popular Mac/Apple Facebook Group called "Low End Mac". This site devotes itself to restoring obsolete equipment as old and even older than my 1999 Dell. Linked below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lowendmac/

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,468 Posts
I used KernelEx on Windows ME to allow it to perform (something) like XP. At least it got me all the way from IE3 to IE6.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Some folks are interested in computer history and restoring older equipment to operate in a modern environment. There are entire online sites devoted to the refurbishment of vintage computing devices. I'm a member of the very popular Mac/Apple Facebook Group called "Low End Mac". This site devotes itself to restoring obsolete equipment as old and even older than my 1999 Dell. Linked below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lowendmac/
OK. I'll look at the site before I go any further. History, huh? That's as good a reason as any, I guess. Like I said in my first post, it was a system just like that that I used to rebuild. I, at first, spent a ton on a P4 processor; and when the memory went to 512 MBs I thought I was rolling in high cotton! That was in 1996. I have been interested in UPGRADING systems, to manage the newer technology. I find it exciting to resurrect one of these dinos whenever I could.

Carry on....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.