Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone gave me a IBM Thinkpad 365XD for free, evrytime i turn it on i get a black screen saying Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application useing its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that applacation to replace the missing file.

C:\PROGRA~1\INOCUL~1VETMON9X.VXB
Press a key to continue

is this something i can fix, should i ignore it, or is the computer no good and i should through it away. if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it and thanks in advance

by the way it is running windows 98

·
Registered
42 Posts
Click "Start", click "Run", type in the word, sysedit and click "OK". Look for the "System.ini" window and maximize it. Search it for any reference of VETMON9X.VXB, and delete any entry found.
If it's not in there, click "Start", click "Run", type in the word regedit, and click "OK'. After the Registery Editor opens, click "Edit", click "Find", and type in, VETMON9X.VXB, and click "Find Next". Delete any "VETMON9X.VXB" entry found. If you aren't comfortable editing the registry, then do not do this, as you can really mess things up if you do something wrong.
The good news is, this error will not affect the running or performance of your machine if you just ignore it. The most it can be is an annoyance at startup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A quick "Google", turned up references to an anti virus program's support file.
btw, it's probably supposed to be ".vxd". Who ever had the laptop before, either uninstalled the program, and it forgot to take itself out of the startup, or they simply deleted the program's folder, leaving all registry/ini entries in place to cause trouble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.