Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family has recently been given a Sony Vaio laptop which has performance issues. Basically it is randomly very slow at opening files, running programs, etc. Removing some Microsoft anti-virus software helped improve things a bit, but it still has definite issues.

We have now tried doing a full reinstall of Windows on the machine (totally wiping out the old data) in the hope of fixing any lingering software issues, however, upon the OS reinstall it is sadly just as sluggish as ever, taking forever to, for example, open the set up files for the drivers.

Any idea what kind of hardware problem could cause this slowness? I am assuming since a reinstall did not fix it, the problem is probably physical?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
512 mb ram, and Intel Pentium M740 1.73 ghz processor.

Yes not the best spec! However, it used to be better than that! And I have a friend uses a laptop with a far slower processor and far less ram and it's far faster than that for mundane things like just extracting a zip file, running a setup file, and viewing the contents of a folder which this laptop struggles terribly over.

It is running Windows XP professional Service pack 2 now.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,123 Posts
Your HDD might be failing. But try these Things first to make your computer faster:
1. Go to Start/Run and type CMD and hit enter. in the Command Prompt type chkdsk /f/r and hit enter. Now type a Y and reboot the computer. The Check Disk Utility will try and correct any file errors and mark blocks on the HDD that are bad and not save data to them.
2. Download CCleaner and Analyze the drive and cleanup the Temp files it finds.
3. Download and run a full scan with Malwarebytes.
4. Go to Start/Run and type dfrg.msc and hit enter. Defrag the computer.
5. Blow out the fans with Compressed Air
6. Go to Crucial.com and use the scanner tool to see what type of RAM you have and your upgrade options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.