Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lenovo Z850 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. I?ve had it for over 3 years and it has steadily been taking longer and longer to fully boot. It only takes a minute or so to get to the login screen, but once I login, it takes over 30 minutes to get to the point where I can open programmes, and then it is incredibly slow. I can feasibly use it in Safe Mode with networking, but it still takes 10 min+ to boot. Only a week ago, it was taking 15+ minutes to boot, but was still usable, so I wasn?t too concerned as I was looking into buying a new computer after Christmas anyway.

I have checked the hard drive and RAM and there appear to be no hardware issues. I have run several virus/spyware programmes, CCcleaner etc to no avail. A while ago, the fan got clogged up and the laptop started to overheat, so I am wondering if this damaged something.

I can?t even do a full Windows restore, there is a recovery partition, but I can?t find a system image within it. I don?t have a backup disc. Is buying a reinstall disc a feasible option or is there anything else I can do before giving in and buying a new laptop?

Thanks

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,161 Posts
You should be able to create recovery media by following these instructions. If the computer is slow even when running in safe mode, I'd suspect there's something going on with the hard drive, but that's just a hunch.

·
Premium Member
41,817 Posts
there is a recovery partition, but I can?t find a system image within it
There is no Image in a recovery partition, rather you boot the computer and press F11 to boot into Recovery. https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht035517
As stated, if the computer is slow in Safe Mode, then there is probably an issue with the HDD.
Download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature. Burn the Image to CD with IMGBurn or to USB Flash Drive with SeaFlash both in my signature. Run the Short and Long Diagnostic tests on the HDD if either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.