Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My laptop is an HP dv7. its pretty massive, 17.3 inches. pretty much like this one: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Brand&v1=HP+Pavilion&series_name=dv7t_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/HP_Pavilion/dv7t_series

Running Vista Home Premium. Great specs, could run my MMORPG at max settings with no problem, while running iTunes and MSN Messenger and whatever other programs I felt like running at the time. Bought it in middle June of this year.

Currently though, it doesn't want to run even Word. I will open Word, start typing, and it will freeze up. I admit I type unusually fast, but normally that isn't a problem. Then I realized my Firefox was also freezing up, even with only one tab open. I tried to run a virus scan, but my Webroot Security wouldn't fully run. I'd get the program open, but it wouldn't load anything I could click on. Figured I'd just restore to a few weeks ago, found there are no restore points, the only thing inside the box is "searching..." I did leave that running for a while, but nothing ever came up. So I checked for system updates, found some, installed, and now it works slightly better, but still way too slow to be normal. A few weeks ago, or maybe a month ago, I got a blue screen. Not sure if this is related at all. So basically, any program I open will freeze up within a minute, go white (as in, i can't click anything), and won't let me close unless I go all Ctrl+Alt+Delete on it. Sometimes even that won't work. I've tried waiting for the program to unfreeze, and that works sometimes, but then it will proceed to freeze. again. :sigh:

I admit to having to shut down my computer manually, because neither Start+Shutdown nor Ctrl+Alt+Delete will work. And there was no point in Safe Mode, because even then I had no restore points.

I haven't installed any programs lately except Steam. A week ago I bought a My Passport Essential to back up my files. I haven't downloaded any music or anything. I use Firefox as my browser. Anything else you need to know, ask. I put down everything I can think of.

I plan to upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as I get the stuff in the mail. Might just do a clean install, since my files are all backed up as of two days ago anyway.

Any ideas? Why this is happening? What I can do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have solved the problem myself, i got an answer on Yahoo!

but i thought i'd post the solution up, if anyone else needs it.

"Start, Run, Msconfig. Select a Diagnostic Startup and restart the system.

Next run a full virus scan. There are several free online scans. Keep scanning and healing until the AV comes up clean. Sometimes Malwarebytes will run when others won't. Then install a resident antivirus such as AVG.

Run a full scan with an antimalware. Keep scanning and removing until it comes up clean. Repeat with a different antimalware."

I ran a diagnostic startup, downloaded and used the free version of malwarebytes. it took over an hour to scan, but it deleted the 3 viruses, and restarted. then i switched back to normal startup, restarted, and my laptop ran perfect again.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,533 Posts
Hi strbz and welcome to TSF sorry no one was available to help with your issue we are all volunteers and try to give as much time as possible but on occassion a thread can be left a little while as the person most suited to help is busy,I would like to thank you for posting your solution it may help someone in a similar situation

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.