Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, not quite sure if I am in the correct forum if not please let me know where to post this thread My young niece has a Dell laptop running windows 10 this morning she switched on her LapT and she heard the internal fan running but the screen remained black she said the power light is flashing amber she is on a bus trip for the next couple of hours so has nowhere to plug in the battery charging unit So why question is this if the battery power is low could that cause the screen to remain off but the fan to run? she also tells me that even when she chargers her battery it only lasts for a few hours. The laptop is about 2 and a half years old and another bit of info it is a Aussie comp so it runs on 220 but she is in the USA and is using a 110 w charger advice would be much appreciated many thks brobilly

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you much appreciated I didn't go down far enough on the pull down menu so didn't see it

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,372 Posts
Let her find an AC power source first and plug it in. Most laptop adapters have a universal input voltage range of ~100-240v. The adapter, if functional, will work as long as it supports the voltage of the AC power source and outputs enough current as required by the laptop. What is the exact model of the laptop? Many laptop batteries last a few hours, and she's lucky to be getting a few hours out of a 2-yr old battery! If the batt used to last 8 hours when new, then it obviously wouldn't be lasting that long almost three years later, don't you think?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you yes that was original thoughts but not being an expect thought better get a second opinion will give her the info and get back to you with the results thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.