Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lenovo G770, still runs windows 7, cannot handle anything higher as it clashes with a driver for my graphics card and results in a BSOD.

It's 11 years old and is definitely on its last legs. It BSOD at least once a month but is always easily repairable.

Last year, it started booting up with a green bar across the screen which would move down and complete disappear once it was completely booted up. But for the last few weeks it has gotten so much worse. I turned it on the other week too find the screen was completely damaged (block colours, extreme distortion of the screen etc.) But after a few minutes it fixed itself.

Today, I turned it on and it has done it again but hasn't repaired itself. It is still completely functional, as much as it was before. No crashes, freezes, BSOD. So it is definitely just an issue with the display. Too add too that theory, I plugged it into an external monitor and it showed the picture completely fine (photos attached). I have absolutely no clue where too start with repairing it.

Anyone have any advice or a starting point? Please don't tell me too just get a new laptop. It runs excellently and I can't afford to upgrade.
Computer Personal computer Laptop Netbook Touchpad

Cloud Sky Computer World Azure

Computer Cloud Personal computer Laptop Touchpad

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,447 Posts
Clearly a driver problem. See what's available on the Lenovo site.

·
31,447 Posts
Since your model has on board graphics and a separate card, figure out which is controlling external monitor and work from there in determining which drivers to obtain.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
If the computer works fine thorough an external monitor, that would rule out a bad Video chip or Bad driver. The LCD screen needs to be replaced. You can buy one on Ebay. There are instructions on Youtube on how to replace it. Considering the age of the computer, it may not be worth fixing.

·
31,447 Posts
What I was trying to say in Post #4 is start by pulling the plug on the external monitor and see if the internal one works using the built in graphics. If so, we can solve this differently. If not then do as Spunk says.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might also try booting from a Linux distro on a flash drive. If the screen works that way, your issue is likely a Windows driver. If it doesn't, it's probably a hardware/cabling problem with the LCD panel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts