Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A few days ago I tried to fix a "Critcial Process Died" error that has been around for some months. I did sfc /scannow and downloaded Driver Easy, along with following this video for the Pro version of Driver Easy, along with updating all 32 outdated drivers. Directly afterwards, the computer was a little slow but I didn't think much of it. The next day, it was borderline unusable, with the curser lagging with 3-6 seconds of delay (that shortens to about 2 seconds after a few minutes), and everything running extremely slow. I opened up system resource usage and saw that it was hovering around 60-100% of cpu usuage, with Windows Search Index and Windows Search Protocol each taking up 10-30%. I followed YT instructions to rebuild search index, and now after 20~ hours of running, it has indexed 310,000 items. I thought I started with 160,000 items though, and now I have no idea when it will finish since I have 1TB of documents and similar stuff on my laptop.

Currently, it is running extremely slowly, barely being able to open apps and the curser takes 1-2 seconds to register. But the cpu hovers around 40% usage (with only search index and system resource usage open). However, would 40% cpu usage really lag my device so much? Is it something to do with me updating my drivers? Is it because I downloaded a virus from the pirated Pro version of Driver Easy? (How can I check for that?). Would rebuilding the index really fix these problems? How can I know how many items need to be indexed? Attached is an image of my current situation. Thank you.

Video link removed (possible spam link) .... Gary R

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,634 Posts
Do not use 3rd party driver apps. Get your drivers from either the Device Manager or the manufacturer's site. Hope you created a restore point prior to this venture. If so, RESTORE.

Reactions: elesbb

·
Registered
284 Posts
Do not use 3rd party driver apps. Get your drivers from either the Device Manager or the manufacturer's site. Hope you created a restore point prior to this venture. If so, RESTORE.
I second this. That video you followed looks very similar to click bait scams.

·
Premium Member
41,801 Posts
Do a Clean Boot. If this works you can leave it this way. If you want to know the culprit, then add a Service or Startup item at a time until the computer starts running slow.
You should also download Disk Genius from my signature. Select your drive, go to the Toolbar to Disk/View or Repair Bad Sectors/Verify Now. This will take a long time, if all the blocks are light Blue the drive is healthy, if any of the boxes are Amber or Red, the drive needs to be replaced.

·
28,634 Posts

·
28,634 Posts
Closing thread as per AV/Trojan thread by Gary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.