Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I had to re-register....but this new layout is awesome! I noticed a mac section was finally put in, as well as a seperate domain name....awesome!

This is not what i'm here for though....i came here with a problem.

I have a friend over the itnernet named Lauren. She has a problem with her laptop. She was able to get the bootup screen before...but now she can't. It just freezes up on her and the screen doesn't turn on. I'll let her do the explaining (Was taken from a series of e-mails back and forth):

"Hey; thanks for your concern! Well, the laptop is a Gateway 600E, about 4 years old. There was no error message or anything, it just froze. I was able to get the Gateway Splash screen at first, but now the screen doesn't even turn on. The battery is dead (there's no lights when I press the button on it to see how much charge is left), so my one friend suggested it may not be booting because of that. I also had to replace the powercord a while ago; the new one has intercahngable heads and is generic so it's possible that affected the battery somehow as well. What specific spec information do you need? Thanks again for your help!
Lauren"

Today, after I asked her some basic spec questions and such, she said this:

"Hey! Here's the specs for the laptop (it's a Gateway 600YG2)
I found a PDF document you can reference at the Gateway site:

http://support.

Here's some of the specific info you asked for:

I've tried the laptop plugged into the wall via a power strip, plugged directly into the wall, plugged in with and without the battery, and without plugging it in. The battery doesn't light up when I press the button on the side to check the amount of charge left, so I'm assuming it's dead.

Motherboard: couldn't find the information
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 -M CPU
RAM: 266MHz DDR-SDRAM system memory
Op. System: Windows XP Professional
Age of Comp: about 4 years old (Three-year warranty expired in June of last year I think)

There was a problem with the Ctrl+Alt+Del menu at one time probably about two years ago; Gateway couldn't figure it out and replaced the motherboard. I figured it was a virus because it happened again, around a year later. I uninstalled Windows and after reinstalling, the problem was gone and hasn't happened again. The laptop has never been dropped and I keep it in a padded case. I spoke with a few friends and we tried hooking it up to a monitor but nothing happened.

I hope that's enough information and I really appreciate all of your help! Please let me know if there's anything else you need. Thanks again!
Lauren"

Now, i've went though all sorts of solutions through my head...and i can't seem to figure one out...so I "ran" to the experts for help! (Kind of ironic that a person needs help when they are helping someone else...) but whaterver...i'll give credit to you guys. Just ask me if you need anymore information/detail on the problem...and i'll ask her.

Anyway guys...thanks alot! You've been helpful in the past...and i'm sure you will be helpful now! Thanks!

·
Registered
459 Posts
If the screen doesn't turn on you could have a faulty screen inverter or back light. Also just check and press the button, that when you close the lid it goes into stand by. Press the lid button a few times, because sometimes its possible that it can get stuck and cause the screen not to show anything.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
It sounds like power supply problems .. another monitor has been tried without revealing anything and since no lights, bells or whistles occur when the power is turned on then it's most likely power related.
there were some laptops that had problems with the input jack breaking the solder at the board .. result no battery being charged and laptop failed to work. It's a very good possibility. Requires someone with knowledge and patience to open it up and check it out. Suggest a repair technician.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you, DF....since your suggestion seems to be the best...I will quote you and tell her....thanks alot! I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iknow I shouldn't double post...but I should point this out. Even though DF has the best answer, it doesn't mean that i'm not grateful for you Dai and Rebellion88 for trying. I don't think you read the quotes/re-read them good enough, because Lauren discribed the problem...and I though it was pretty clear. If i'm not making sense, just tell me.

Anyway, I e-mailed her yesterday and she said that she thanks me for my help (which I in turn say: "Thank you guys" for helping her with her laptop problem. I only met her a few days ago, and it's odd that i just jumped to help her...maybe it's because I knew that I had a backup plan or I had backup just in case I coudn't figure it out. Authough, it did take me a few minutes of searching to find these new forums...

Anyways, I e-mailed her back that I ahd help from my computer help forum, so i'd pass the thank you onto them because they were the ones who actually came up with the solution(s)...

She swaid that her dad just brought it in for repair, but she said that she would tell her dad about what "I" said. Whatever, it's all good. Thanks for helping guys...

:pray:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.