Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a new battery for an old Sony Vaio pcg-955c aka pcg-fx120. I left it charging for a good four or five hours and then though I'd try starting it up.

When I pressed the power button everything flashed on, I heard a small click and then it went dead. No lights, no response, nothing. Anyway this isn’t the problem.

I left the battery in it overnight and when I walked past it in the morning I noticed a slight smell, you all know the smell, so I figured I'd try turning it on. Miracle, lights came on and the computer appeared to be starting.

Now, this is my problem.
The hdd light only flashes on once when I push the power button and then stays off. The LCD screen does not power on and plugging a pc screen into the laptop gets no response either. The CPU fan does not spin regularly and instead whirrs (faster and slower?) with a pattern.

I am rather savvy and can always fix my pc but with this laptop I am lost.
I have pulled the whole thing apart a half dozen times and have found utterly no hardware damage at all, no loose connections, nothing.

Any advice/help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,437 Posts
hi,

all this happened with the new battery installed? have you tried powering ON without the battery (AC adapter only)? is your new battery a genuine Sony battery or a generic replacement? do you hear any beeps?

by your description, it seems that it shorted something out. most often you if it indeed burned a component, you can see or notice that burnt component on circuitry.

the description minus the slight smell (i assume a burnt electronic smell) can also mean a corrupt BIOS. if there is an internal backup battery or cmos battery, remove it and do not connect it for at least an hour (some say one hour or 30mins is enough, i leave mine overnight) to reset the cmos. check if your BIOS chip can be replaced (PLCC socket) or is soldered on the motherboard.

if you have doubts on any device, remove that device and power the laptop ON. this will narrow down the number of usual suspects.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery wasn't the problem. I think it's just that the laptop hadnt been used in such a long time. I have tried everything you have suggested except the extended bios battery removal which I am currently doing at the moment. If you or anyone else can think of anything.. anything let me know im willing to try, well, anything. Will check wether the bios battery is soldered or not when I get back from uni.

Thanks.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top