Tech Support banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba L655 - S5150 win-7 os. I replaced the battery about 4 times now and still get the same message plugged in not charging. Despite all that I could find on the internet nothing seems to be working to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,212 Posts
What have you tried? Certainly a different charger.

·
Premium Member
42,036 Posts
Many laptops have sensors on them that determine if the battery and the charger are their OEM brand or a non supported Generic. If the Charger is not an OEM brand
then it will give enough power to turn on the computer but not charge the battery. You can find a Charger that works with your model on Ebay.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought an oem battery and charger and still get the same message. I tried uninstalling the battery from the device manager and reinstalling it but to no luck of fixing the problem. I talked to a computer repair shop and they said that I need to replace the motherboard. I don't think so...

·
Premium Member
42,036 Posts
Every case I have seen where it says, "Plugged in, Not Charging" means that an incorrect power adapter is used. Even if the charger may say Toshiba on it, if it's not for your model, it won't work.
If the battery and charger are Certified Toshiba brands specifically for this model and it is still not charging, then it would be an issue with the charging port which is soldered to the motherboard and the motherboard would need to be replaced. Try talking to Toshiba Support to see if they have any other ideas. You will need to provide them with sales receipts for the Toshiba Power Adapter and Battery.

·
Citizen of the world
51,138 Posts
This could also simply be a broken charging circuit in the laptop, it happens. Just because the laptop will run on the power adapter juice, that doesn't mean the charging circuit is working.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not likely that the power supply port has a broken solder joint as it powers on.

Could be that the powersupply ports plug wasn't pushed down all the way or came loose inside on the motherboard.

Maybe an issue with the the battery plug connector pins on the laptop.

Maybe a dirty battery connectors or bent connector pin so it can't charge the battery.

Worst case is the charging circuit is bad.

You should be able to get another one for $50 to $100 or search for the motherboard on ebay.

Read that deleteing the battery device driver and reinstalling it fixed it on another one.

Also read that disconnecting the battery and power supply and holding the power button for 30 seconds worked for others.

Still sounds like the power supply is not providing the right amount of current.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found the problem. It was the mother board took it out and was inspecting it an noticed a burned spot ehere the power connector was soldered to the circuit board. ordered a new motherboard now it works like it's supposed to. Thank you for all the info. God bless you all.

·
Citizen of the world
51,138 Posts
I guess now's not the time to point out that's a common issue and frequently can be fixed by simply repairing the connection from the jack to the motherboard. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts