Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I've been having this problem for a while and finally decided to ask for help!

My lenovo Ideapad y510p keeps on getting limited connectivity after 2-5 minutes of being connected to a mobile hotspot. I've tested with different mobile phones that have no issue with other laptops and with all of them the connectivity becomes limited on my lenovo. If memory serves me right, I've always had this problem. If I need to use my mobile data, i connect through usb tethering (which works fine).
This seems to mean that the problem is my laptop.
I've searched around but most topics give simplistic solutions (like updating the drivers, which I did of course).

Does anybody have any insight on the problem?

I am running windows 8.1 and my wireless card says: "1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter" by Broadcom

Thanks!

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,734 Posts
You said you updated drivers. Did you update the Network adapter driver directly from the manufacturer? Does this happen on your home router?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You said you updated drivers. Did you update the Network adapter driver directly from the manufacturer? Does this happen on your home router?
Hello! Thanks for taking the time. Yes I tried with the drivers from lenovo, even if they are outdated, the problem persists.
No, the problem happens only throughmobile hotspot

·
29,734 Posts
Hello! Thanks for taking the time. Yes I tried with the drivers from lenovo, even if they are outdated, the problem persists.
No, the problem happens only throughmobile hotspot
By the manufacturer I meant who made the adapter . Lenove is only a parts assembler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
By the manufacturer I meant who made the adapter . Lenove is only a parts assembler.
You are right, apologies.

After much looking, I wasn't able to find the precise model number of my wireless card, so I opened the back lid to look directly at the hardware but there is a random stick that doesn't go away on top of the wireless chip, precisely where the number would be (the luck). From a photo search the name "bcm94352hmb" came up. Such number is not present in the broadcom database and in any case the only drivers listed are for linux (not sure why, may be I'm doing something wrong but there was no os choice promp or option).

I tried to chose the drivers from the list offered by windows in the device manager. There were 3 choices: the "1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter", a Broadcom option and a Microsoft option. I tried the first 2 with no luck and I haven't had the time to try the third yet.

By "try" I mean i selected them, let them install and rebooted the pc. I didn't try to uninstall, reboot and then install because I think windows would automatically install the "best" one on reboot, correct?

What else can I do?

Thanks a lot for your time!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when the connectivity becomes limited, windows diagnostics easily fixes that saying that "The default gateway was not available". The connection works for a while but then encounters the same problem. May be this helps.

·
29,734 Posts
Please post the actual name of the Adapter from the Device Manager. For example the laptop I'm on now is:
Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please post the actual name of the Adapter from the Device Manager. For example the laptop I'm on now is:
Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
The name in the Device is manager is the one I said before, "1x1 11b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter"
After changing the drivers the name changed to "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter" and "Microsoft 802.11n Network Adapter"

·
29,734 Posts
Is the Broadcom driver 7.35.340.0. ? The Lenoveo driver isn't supported in Windows 8.1. Everything probably worked with Windows 7. Your Ideapad is quite old and some updates/apps/features just aren't going to work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the Broadcom driver 7.35.340.0. ? The Lenoveo driver isn't supported in Windows 8.1. Everything probably worked with Windows 7. Your Ideapad is quite old and some updates/apps/features just aren't going to work.
The broadcom one says 6.30.223.201. I've been having this problem from the beginning, something like 6 years ago. The laptop was sold windows 8. So in your opinion it was sold with unsolvable incompatibility? Nothing to do?

·
29,734 Posts
The driver I mentioned in Post #8 works with Windows 10 so should work with 8.1. Make sure you get it from a reputable source.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The driver I mentioned in Post #8 works with Windows 10 so should work with 8.1. Make sure you get it from a reputable source.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you said.
So I just need to look for "Broadcom driver 7.35.340.0"? No need to specify a model? Could you point me in a direction?o_O

·
29,734 Posts
Now comes the problem. The driver is available from 3rd parties and that creates the risk of malware or at least advertising. You have to decide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now comes the problem. The driver is available from 3rd parties and that creates the risk of malware or at least advertising. You have to decide.
I've tried from 2 sources and in both cases Windows stops right after starting the installation saying that it has determined that the driver is not compatible.. Game over?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had this same problem a while ago. Turns out that I had fixed my DNS address (as many people do). When I changed to automatic DNS, everything worked. I have no idea why using a fixed DNS on a hotspot causes problems, but for me it did. YMMV

1 - 16 of 16 Posts