Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with the display of my Sony Vaio laptop.
Currently, the displayed area looks like this:
-----------
|xxxxxxx ..|
|xxxxxxx ..|
|xxxxxxx ..|
|.............|
-----------
Basically, only 800x600 pixels are used for display, although the LCD screen is 1024x768. The displayed image is fine, just smaller.
The video adapter also reports a 800x600 LCD. The image on an external monitor looks fine, the whole screen is used.
I checked long and hard for any SW or BIOS settings but couldn't find any.
I doubt it is the LCD itself, because this problem appeared after I opened the laptop trying to fix a power plug problem. I might have touched the flex cable or the connectors.
Any suggestion on how to correct this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Lou

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.
My video adapter is listed as "NeoMagic MagicMedia256AV". Under the adapter's advanced properties, the "Panel information" lists the LCD of size 800x600, although it really is 1024x768.
I can change the video resolution to 1024x768 in the Display Properties Settings, but it doesn't solve the problem. The displayed screen is the same, 800x600, and now I have to scroll the desktop if I want to see it all.
I did uninstall and reinstall the original video drivers, to no avail.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Does the computer have the correct drivers for the display panel? That could limit your capabilities if it doesn't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm using the original Sony drivers. I have reason to believe that this is a hardware/firmware problem, and here's the reason:
Everything started when I accidentally dropped the laptop. After the fall, the DC input pin would not work anymore. The LCD was OK, I checked.
I opened the laptop, trying to see if I can fix the DC pin. It is possible that I messed with the LCD flex cable, but it does not appear to be damaged. I took the video card out then put it back in. Next time I turned the laptop on, the "3/4 screen" symptom appeared and it's beend there ever since, no matter what else I tried.
That's why I'm inclined to believe that the problem is not in software.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.