Tech Support banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Joined specifically for this because I've been struggling with this for days, so any help would be really appreciated.

So recently the internal microphone on my laptop (acer swift SF114-32) has just been picking up a really loud static noise all the time. I noticed the issue when zoom wasn't picking up any input when I was talking into the microphone, but when I use the voice recorder app and recorded something, it just recorded really loud static (I assume zoom automatically removes static-like noises)

This definitely isn't feedback since it happens with no sound at all in the background and is very persistent. I'm pretty sure it's a software issue, since when looking into the settings there was a constant input and plugging in a headset with its own microphone didn't change anything. It happened a couple of times before, but seemed to fix itself within a day or something. This time though, it's been persistent.

I tried uninstalling drivers and all that stuff, fiddled around with the settings and followed all the stuff I found via google, eventually I actually did manage to fix the problem by updating windows. Then the problem reappeared, I tried updating windows again, that didn't work, so I uninstalled recent windows updates which fixed it again and set a system restore point there so I could revert it if I needed. However, now a couple of days later, the problem returned for a 3rd time, and nothing's worked. New windows updates, uninstalling updates, even reverting back to the system restore thing I set up when I was sure it was working, none of it's fixed it. It's bizarre.

So yeah, any help would be much appreciated especially as I'm regularly using zoom nowadays which I obviously can't. I can only assume it's something to do with windows and the relation to the driver? Not an expert, but the other 2 times I've fixed it has involved messing about with windows updates so shrugs
(using windows 10 home version 2004, have installed and uninstalled recent updates)

·
Registered
59 Posts
You seem to have done a lot of good troubleshooting.
This could be a "simple" heat problem with your "sound" chips inside.
Works for a while, turn off computer, turn on, etc.. etc... then "boink" no worky.

Try doing some "timing" functions. After you "fix" the problem, then when does it go out again. 1 hour, 48 hours, 60 hours? Is the computer on all the time?
DISABLE, Sleep and Hibernate modes.... those "features" can kill a lot of things...

let us know

-sapphire
(p.s. may get a USB SOUND CARD to see if that works, that will help you see "where" the problem lies... Software, Hardware or Functions)
This is not an affiliate amazon link, I am not an Amazon Link affiliate.
(p.s.. besides this is a cool "usb" Sound Card, I have one in my tool kit I carry around... )

-sapphire

1 - 2 of 2 Posts