Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having a problem with the graphics on my laptop.

Here are the specs...

TOSHIBA
Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2500 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
1536MB RAM
70 GB
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M:
19-in Acer AL1916 LCD
Realtek HD Audio output
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.050928-1517)

I've had it for about a year and never had any problem running 3-D, graphics intensive games until recently. About a month ago, I start having a few graphics problems...textures not coming out right, etc. Lately, I start a game and it runs perfectly fine for about 3-4 min then the graphics completely go haywire...textures not coming out, lines across the screen, etc...and my entire system crashes.

I've run adware, virus, and spyware checks, cleaned up my harddrive and defragged it, as well as downloading updated drivers for my video card, display adapters, and reinstalled directx. However, nothing has fixed this problem. According to my computer, all the hardware is running perfectly fine.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? My first thought was overheating, but I have an external cooler and the laptop doesnt feel hot at all, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Josh

·
Registered
459 Posts
Download and run these programs: Prime95 and Speedfan, Prime95 stresses the computer and speedfan monitors the temperatures. This way we can be sure of overheating, also firstly laptops are not made for gaming especially intense due to heat problems, and external cooling can only do so much. Is it like black diamond looking shapes on the screen this could signal artifacts, caused by overheating.

Try a different driver for the graphics card and make sure your DirectX is up to date, one last thing to ensure your laptop is well ventilated get a can of compressed air to clean any dust and grime out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Download and run these programs: Prime95 and Speedfan, Prime95 stresses the computer and speedfan monitors the temperatures. This way we can be sure of overheating, also firstly laptops are not made for gaming especially intense due to heat problems, and external cooling can only do so much. Is it like black diamond looking shapes on the screen this could signal artifacts, caused by overheating.

Try a different driver for the graphics card and make sure your DirectX is up to date, one last thing to ensure your laptop is well ventilated get a can of compressed air to clean any dust and grime out.
Alright, I ran speedfan with Counterstrike: Source, one of the programs that was resulting in an infinite loop. Speedfan lists 2 tempertaures....one called HD (whicin I'm assuming is my harddrive) and this stays around 30-33C during play. The other temperature is listed as Temp1 and its around 35-40C during normal use but goes up to 77+C during gameplay.

I'm not sure....but this seems pretty hot to me. Let me know what you think, and what else I can do to test it.

PS: I wasnt sure what prime95 did or how to run it, so I didn't use it to test.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also, after exiting the game, its been about 10 minutes, the temperature of HD has gone up and stayed around 40C and temp1 is holding steady around 66C.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Temp1 (your CPU) as a general rule shouldn't go above 70 degrees. See if you can get a can of compressed air and blow dust out from inside your laptop.

Were you able to check your GPU temps?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Temp1 (your CPU) as a general rule shouldn't go above 70 degrees. See if you can get a can of compressed air and blow dust out from inside your laptop.

Were you able to check your GPU temps?
alright, I'll pick up a can of compressed air tomorrow and see if that helps. Do you suggest I completely open the laptop up and spray it? just don't want to damage anything that's not gonna be covered under my warrenty.

Also, I downloaded RivaTuner but I dont see any place to check GPU temperatures....nor could I find a setting on the nvidia control panel.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thats quite high for an Intel, I know my AMD Turion could reach 95c as a max operating temperature but luckily its never gone that high. Maybe invest in a good quality cooling pad, certain pads offer better air circulation than others.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
In the nVidia Control Panel, go to 3D Settings > Monitor Temperature Levels. You may have to enable the Advanced View in the nVidia Control Panel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have the nVidia control panel. When I right click, I have an option for nvidia display but it looks different than the nVidia control panel that I believe you're referring to. There are no tabs, and the options don't include 3D settings. I looked thru all the menus, and there is nothing about the gpu temp. Is there another app i can download that will give me that readout?

Rebellion....I have a pretty decent Antec Cooling pad, but its still crashing with or without it...

I'm thinking its probably my fan.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In RivaTuner, click Customize... under Driver settings and then click on the first icon that appears.
did that.....still no place where it lists gpu temps.

there are 3 tabs: overclocking, compatability and overlay

there are options to overclock and startup options....but nothing where it lists gpu temp. Is it possible my graphics card does not have a temperature monitor?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey,

I still cannot find any fan speed indicator on the Nvidia display menu nor on Riva Tuner.

And Simon, I almost always use an external monitor and have the same problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, what to do is PM me and i will send you a link to download a boo-table diagnostic tool that you can use to test the graphics chip/card. This software is priceless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have a can of compressed air you can use to blow the dust out of your laptop?

I do, and I have blown the air into as many areas I can without opening my laptop up. Do you suggest I open it and spray the motherboard, etc.?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
I would remove the bottom panels and blow out the dust from there. Also, with the bottom panels off blow into the side vents to remove the dust from the heatsink fins.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.