Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i love my laptop with the usb gps adapter allot better then my handheld. the only problem is with the radio in the car on not loud i can barley here the software talk to me. i use one of those tape that comes with portable CD player. that worked good but i cant get the radio that way dose any one know of anything i can do if not its OK.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Trying to follow what you are saying here.

Are you using a cassette adapter to route your laptop audio into the car radio?

If so, make sure you turn the volume on your laptop up, possibly almost all the way.

Set radio volume to a good listening level, then adjust the laptop volume to match the radio volume. Look in the control panel for Sounds and Multimedia if you do not know how to adjust the volume on the laptop.

JamesO

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What i want to do i think i cant. the tape works good but then i cant listen to the radio. im woundering if theres a way to do eather get radio on pc or play radio and my laptop on the car stero

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
MP3's?

If the audio is quiet try pressing PLAY on the tape deck again to switch "sides." I've had to do that at times when my tape player would bork.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
ok, chris is being misunderstood.

chris has a headphone-to-cassette adapter to run the laptop's sound into the tape deck in the car.

this works fine to play the laptop's sound through the car's speakers.

the problem, unless i misread, is that when the radio is switched to am/fm, the laptop sound stops.

this is just like what would happen if you were playing a tape, and switched the radio to am/fm.

the stereo was made to play one or the other, but not both.

as much as i hate to say this, there's almost no way to fix this problem.

you either need to give your laptop it's own sound system, or you will need a tiny am/fm radio laying on the seat connected to the laptop through it's input.

to get into more detail about that, here at my house, i have my computer's sound running into my 300 watt house stereo.

now, this is great when i want to play games, and i can also listen to mp3's on the computer, and have it all come out the big speakers.

now, if i want am/fm, i have to do something a little unconventional.

i have a little rca pocket am/fm radio i use with headphones...

i have a little 1/8" to 1/8" modular cord. (stereo headphone plug to stereo headphone plug cord) and i use that to connect the little radio to the input on my computer. (on the laptop, this might look like a mic plug, but it's almost always an integrated plug, with mic/input both running through it.

then i double click on my audio control in windows, and i unmute the "input" and turn up it's volume.

then, on the little radio, i turn the volume to about 80% to aviod distortion.

then i can hear my game sounds coming out my speakers, and at the same time, i can hear my am/fm radio, and not only that, but if i need to, i can turn the little radio down for a moment, to hear my game sounds better.

i hope this helps.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Well, I know it sounds pretty crazy, but if you took apart the stereo system and redid a certain part of it, it could work. This is what pilots use to listen to music- it's basically a squelched radio system that switches to what the pilot needs to hear when it detects a change in signal strength. It then switches back when the signal drops. You could theoretically use this same system so that your laptop interrupts the stereo system when it says something.

I personally have no experience with this, but I do know that it is possible.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
they also sell car steros that have an input for cell phones, or other devices.

if you had one of those, it could mix in the sound as well.

it's basically what people buy nowadays, so they don't have to open their stereos.

if you really felt like opening it up, i could probably research on your model of radio and tell you a bit more about it.

i've never done this exactly, but i have modded many radios, and i tell you, it's not for the faint of heart.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
chrisr1984 said:
how would a pcmcia tv tuner with radio work. and use the tape adapter

because your laptops' sound happliy goes through the tape adapter, a pcmcia tv/radio tuner would probably work perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.