Tech Support banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You have posted in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, presumably because you believed your problem might have been caused by Malware.

To be honest, your problems do not sound like ones caused by an active infection, and there is nothing in the logs you have posted to suggest you have an infection on your machine.

There is however evidence that MSConfig has been used to modify a number of service settings. MSConfig was not meant to be used this way, and you should disable any changes that were made.

To do that .....

• Press Windows Key + R to open a Run dialog
  • Type MSConfig into the Open: box and click OK
  • A System Configuration Window will open
    • Click on the Services tab
    • Click on Enable All then click OK
    • Exit the System Configuration Window.

PLEASE NOTE .... it is unlikely that these services are entirely responsible for your problems, and if you have already started following bassfisher's instructions, and are re-installing W10 then there is no need to follow the instructions above.
Someone had me do a clean boot, so I disabled the nonessential services things. If it matters, Corday had me do a memtest, I left it overnight and it froze still while doing the memtest.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,528 Posts
Try running computer one RAM stick at a time. I know you're not comforable taking laptop apart, but it's not worth paying for service on what two of us have now seen as a lemon. Hope you didn't pay too much.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Try running computer one RAM stick at a time. I know you're not comforable taking laptop apart, but it's not worth paying for service on what two of us have now seen as a lemon. Hope you didn't pay too much.
$600 lol dayum what a scam

·
28,528 Posts
Take some screenshots and attach to post.

·
28,528 Posts
I've merged the two thread since posts were getting criss-crossed.

·
28,528 Posts
On quick scan, nothing jumps out. Run till crash, restart and check Event Viewer.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,126 Posts
Someone had me do a clean boot, so I disabled the nonessential services things.
The trouble with disabling Services, is that you never quite know 100% what disabling one will do. Services are interdependent, and load in a specific order, so unless you're very careful you may inadvertently remove an "unnecessary" Service that another "necessary" Service is dependent upon.

I say this, not because I think it will help you in this case, but so that you are aware of the complexity of dealing with Services in future.

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
If you do a Clean Boot correctly, you Hide the Microsoft Services, and only disable the Non-Essential services that do not affect the Windows OS. So, it should not effect any other dependent service.
When you run Memtest, it will run continuously until you stop it. 2 passes on each RAM module will tell you if there are errors or not.,
The fact that the computer shut down and had the fans running fast, is usually because the computer overheated. Your temperatures in HW Monitor look good though.
The Event Viewer shows there is an Issue with Drive #2 and the SATA controller. I would change the SATA cable on that drive, and choose a different SATA port on the motherboard. Also, try replacing the power plug on the back of the drive from the PSU.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The trouble with disabling Services, is that you never quite know 100% what disabling one will do. Services are interdependent, and load in a specific order, so unless you're very careful you may inadvertently remove an "unnecessary" Service that another "necessary" Service is dependent upon.

I say this, not because I think it will help you in this case, but so that you are aware of the complexity of dealing with Services in future.
ye I don't really touch those things usually.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
If you do a Clean Boot correctly, you Hide the Microsoft Services, and only disable the Non-Essential services that do not affect the Windows OS. So, it should not effect any other dependent service.
When you run Memtest, it will run continuously until you stop it. 2 passes on each RAM module will tell you if there are errors or not.,
The fact that the computer shut down and had the fans running fast, is usually because the computer overheated. Your temperatures in HW Monitor look good though.
The Event Viewer shows there is an Issue with Drive #2 and the SATA controller. I would change the SATA cable on that drive, and choose a different SATA port on the motherboard. Also, try replacing the power plug on the back of the drive from the PSU.
Are the laptop sata cables the same as desktop ones? Or do I need to buy specific cables for laptop version?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
So I Opened it up, can I get some instruction on what to do? This looks much more different than a desktop. Also the RAM I can't tell of it matches, there's like 8GB stick and 16GB stick like ***?
I also have a 1TB storage stick and 500GB 2.5 inch drive. Should I replace the old ones with the new ones?

Attachments

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,126 Posts
Theoretically, you are correct, and you should be able to dsable 3rd Party Services without issue, however I have come across instances (particularly with infected machines) where this has not been the case.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts