Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I have an approximately 3-year-old laptop which has never had any problems before. I was using it earlier today when I turned it a certain way and suddenly it made a noise very similar to this:
and it seriously looked like there was smoke coming out of the area between the screen and keyboard (fan? Sorry, I know nothing about computers). I freaked out and shut it down and left it for like two hours. Then I tried to clean the fan with a little vacuum thing as other forums recommended, opened it again and everything seemed fine for about five minutes, until that clicking noise and smoke started again! What do I do and how much will it cost to repair? This is the absolute worst time for my laptop to be having problems, please say it is an easy fix :S

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,558 Posts
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

If something is smoking inside your system, I recommend that you stop using it. It can catch fire.

Smoking would be caused by an electrical problem and it may cost a replacement of the system board. Best option is to find a new machine. Repair costs may be the cost of a new system.

·
Global Moderator
42,350 Posts
That sounds like the fan is dying and may have wires or some other obstruction running across it or clogged with dust. this laptop will need to be disassembled and the fan will need to most likely need to be replaced and see if something else is burning.
If you don't want to take this task on, then I would take it to a professional laptop repair person in your area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds like the fan is dying and may have wires or some other obstruction running across it or clogged with dust. this laptop will need to be disassembled and the fan will need to most likely need to be replaced and see if something else is burning.
If you don't want to take this task on, then I would take it to a professional laptop repair person in your area.
Thanks! Roughly how much would this cost?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks! Roughly how much would this cost?
Youtube and Google are your friend.

You should google the model of your computer and find out how to take it apart.
Then find out what type of cpu fan the computer takes. I'm guessing its a cpu fan. I had the same thing happen to me when my cpu fan when out. But the one I had was 4,000 rpm and I ran it max all the time and the barrings burned up.

You'll need thermal compound and a fan with some screw drivers. Might also need something thin to slid into the center to open the case after you remove the screws.

Shouldn't be hard at all.

Just apply a thin layer of thermal compound and clip the fan back on the motherboard and plug the power cable back in.

Everything can be found at Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More - Newegg.com or Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

I like newegg myself.

I use an old credit card to apply the compound to my cpu. Just remember to clean off old compound with 80 proof rubbing alcohol. Dab some rubbing alcohol on a coffee filter then wipe old compound off and then dry with a coffee filter.

Just google what type of fan it takes should be an easy cheap find. The computer shops are out of there mind with the prices they charge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.