Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HP Pavilion dv9700 laptop's screen suddenly turned to yellow and red stripes. There was nothing I could do so I turned it off. When i started it again, it turned off within 2 seconds, then kept turning on and off in 2 second intervals. I couldn't shut it off by pressing the on/off button so I was forced to remove the battery. When I plugged power back in and started it up, it kept blinking. This is not the first time my screen changed colors, it happened about 3 times before with sky blue stripes, but then worked after I restarted the laptop. I'd also have to mention that my sound is messed up and I recently used a usb sound card to get sound running, which is about when my laptop started turning colors. How do I fix this ?

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Does it show the same issues if you hook up an external monitor? If yes, then try updating your video drivers first. If that does not help, try booting with a linux live CD (Ubuntu or Knoppix) and see how the screen behaves in linux. If LCD shows the same issues in linux or Windows then it could be hardware related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's not the laptop screen that blinks on and off. My laptop actually turns on and then turns off every 2 seconds. I turn it on, and if shuts off 2 seconds later, then it powers back on automatically repeating. Removing the power cord doesn't do anything so the only thing I could do to stop it is remove the battery.

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Oh ok... I suggest you start by working with one stick of RAM at a time (if you have 2 sticks installed). If both would show the same symptom when used individually then try each on both slots. If still the same issue, then get a new one or a good working RAM stick to use for testing purposes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.