Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I have a HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb007nt that I bought three years ago. Two weeks ago suddenly the battery indicator started showing only "Plugged in" and was stuck at 95%. I assumed it would fix itself but it started dropping further, and over the course of two weeks it has now dropped down to 70%. Please note that it doesn't say "Plugged in, not charging" - it only says "Plugged in".

I ran a Battery Check through HP's support software and it gave this result.
Then I ran a EUFI Battery Check through the BIOS and the result said: "Logic State: OK (0)- Charge Capacity: 70% - Cycle Count: 61 - Battery Status: Replace (42) - Charge State: Blown Fuse (42)."

Now I'm well-aware that the battery might just be dying since it's three years old - but I'm not 100% convinced because before the issue started, the battery hadn't been showing any signs of declining health. It wasn't overheating, it wasn't losing charge quickly, it wasn't taking long to fully charge up. It was perfectly healthy. The issue suddenly started happening overnight. One morning I turned on the laptop and the battery was showing a 95% charge. And I remember installing a major Windows update a few days before the issue started happening. So I'm wondering if the update messed something up or if it's another software messing things up. If the battery is truly dead, I'd be happy to order a replacement but I want to be 100% sure it's not software or Windows update related before I do that.

• I've tried uninstalling the battery drivers through Device Manager and restarting the computer. It didn't help.
  • I ran the Power Troubleshooter through Windows settings. It didn't help.
  • The AC adapter is working fine. Both HP support tools said it was healthy.
  • The EUFI Battery Check didn't give me the option to re-calibrate the battery automatically, so I couldn't try that.
  • The Windows update is one of those "un-uninstallable" updates you can't right click on in the "Uninstall updates" page.
  • I can't revert to a previous version of Windows because it's been more than 10 days since the update.
  • The BIOS and the HP EUFI tool are updated to their latest versions.
  • I'm running Windows 10 Pro - Version 20H2 - Build 19042.985

So I have two questions:

1. With the information I've provided, do you think there's even a slight chance the issue could be software or Windows update related or do I definitely have a dying battery?
2. Is there anything else I can try to troubleshoot/fix the battery to make sure it's a hardware issue and not a software one?

Thank you.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,730 Posts
While it could be the power connection on the laptop 95% of these is dying battery or dying power cord. Did you always leave the cord plugged in because if so then most likely you need a new battery as the best way to make a battery last is use it at least monthly to run all the way down and then charge back. That is what rejuvenates a battery believe it or not!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While it could be the power connection on the laptop 95% of these is dying battery or dying power cord. Did you always leave the cord plugged in because if so then most likely you need a new battery as the best way to make a battery last is use it at least monthly to run all the way down and then charge back. That is what rejuvenates a battery believe it or not!
Yes, I always leave it plugged in. Now I know not to do that.

Is there a way for me to check the issue is not the power connection on the laptop or a dying power cord? Thank you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,233 Posts

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,730 Posts
Yes thew only other thing you can take laptop to a store and ask them to try a universal cord and see if it works any better. That would confirm all but the battery.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
Harbor Freight has a bunch of Multi-Meters. Since you're in Turkey, I'm sure there's a similar retailer. They're cheap and you'll find them useful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure you check every cable and connector fit tightly. If they fit right, then have The Battery drained completely until the laptop dies. Now, plug it into the charge. If these solutions don't work in your favor, you might have to consider replacing the battery

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,233 Posts
... then have the battery drained completely until the laptop dies. Now, plug it into the charge. ...
Source: Consumer Reports > How to Preserve Laptop Battery Life

Q. I've heard conflicting advice about preserving laptop battery life. What should I actually be doing?

A. There is indeed a lot of misinformation floating around about how to keep your laptop battery working longer. "That's because battery technology has improved rapidly, and a lot of old advice stays in circulation even though it doesn't apply anymore to newer technology," says Rich Fisco, head of electronics testing at CR.

Gone are the days when it was important to let your laptop battery drain completely, then charge it all the way back up to 100 percent. "That's now unnecessary with newer lithium-ion batteries," which power practically every laptop and smartphone, Fisco says.

For long-term battery health today, the best tactic is to avoid charging it all the way to 100 percent or letting it run down to zero, says Antonette Asedillo, who oversees CR's computer testing. "Ideally, you want to keep your battery charged between 20 and 80 percent."

[...continues...]​

1 - 10 of 10 Posts