Tech Support Forum banner
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, first off, hi all. Ive used this forum in the past but forgot my old account and so here I am again. As I remember, the people here were always quite helpful.

The issue at hand is a power-related one. Initially, I had trouble charging the laptop but it was still possible with a bit of effort. But it was getting harder to make work with time so i sent it back to Dell for a new motherboard as it was still under warranty. Long story short, They beat around the bush, sending me a new charger that wasnt even the right one, and the warranty expired before it arrived, they told me nothing was replaced. However, the motherboard WAS replaced and my computer was returned to me completely unable to charge and I was told the battery had somehow died in transit. Customer service was rude and unhelpful. I bought a replacement battery and - surprise! - it didn't work. I don't even want to bother calling those fools again. So here I am with a laptop which is tethered to a wall, getting excessively hot and therefore slowing down the longer its run. Its not like I have the money to go just buy a new laptop, so this is what I'm stuck with.

So, naturally I opened the thing up to check it out, and did some research..
When I initially got it back, the remaining charge in the battery could power the computer but it would not charge. Once it died, it stayed dead. With the new battery, It showed the charge but wouldn't even power the computer.
When powered on, a screen saying something like 'the battery type could not be identified' shows up.

So, this is what i think: After opening it up and inspecting all the solder connections surrounding the power supply, i noticed the power jack itself looked pretty normal. However, the solder that connects the pins that attach the battery to the motherboard looks quite brown and abnormal. I think this is the cause of the problem.

My question, then, is this: could this issue be fixed by re-soldering this connection, or will that likely just be a big waste of time? Because for all the research I did I never found anything related to such an issue. Are any other things I can do to identify the root cause? Any other insights into this problem would be much appreciated as well, especially those related to decreasing the excess heat generated by the lack of a battery.

Thanks for reading!
1 - 1 of 3 Posts
Not open for further replies.