Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this issue with my clients not resolving hostnames. It's sounds like a simple problem, but I think it has to do with my Linksys Router (BEFW11S4) and it's current settings. Note that I'm not using the wireless capabilities yet, just good ol' CAT-5.

To give you the situation, I moved into a new home, and set up my network just as I did before the move. Everything worked fine. Then I hooked up my router up to the outside line, for internet access. The ISP gave me the settings for my router, which would be connecting via PPPoE. After changing the settings, my LAN was waxed. Clients would then not communicate with each other. I need access to my file server!!!!

My symptoms:
1) if I pinged a client's hostname, it would return something like this:
Pinging hostname.brambleton.net [12.109.158.XXX] with

Reply from 12.109.158.XXX: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=127
Reply from 12.109.158.XXX: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=127

keep in mind that no matter what hostname I pinged, even if it was a nonvalid hostname, it would return these results, and the IP address would always be the same (the one listed above... which is very similar to my WAN IP address, and not the LAN IP address which is the typical 192.168.1.1)

So for example, if I pinged hostname with an IP address of 192.168.1.100, i would get back the above result. Which I actually did. I really mean, I pinged 'hostname'. Even though there is no system on my network with that name. If I ping a valid client name, I get the same results. Now if I ping 192.168.1.100, it works fine. So I think to myself, add the hostname in the host file (I'm running Win2K). So I do that...

Now when I ping the hostname, I get back the correct IP address, YEA!! (192.168.1.100) I think to myself, everything is working fine.

So now I go to map a drive. Now way!! I get a: System error 53 has occurred. I get the error for a Net View also. It's really starting to piss me off.

I think I need to enable Dynamic or Static Routing on the Linksys?!?! Am I right? I messed with it, but nothing seems to work, however, It could be wrong in my settings, cause I have no idea what the ***** im doing. I never took my CCNA, and I wish I had now.

Oh and yes, I have print and file sharing enabled.

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

·
Registered
23 Posts
what i can guess is that the xxx is appearing from summarization. I dont know if regulr home routers support that. Summarization is when a group of ip aderesses is grouped into a similar ip address. for xample. 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.135 192.168.1.45 would be summazrzed to 192.168.1.0/24 or 192.168.1.xxx
If you are getting replies from any host u ping even not a real one, then the router ilaying ricks on you. You should fin someting in firewall or some other security settings.
Tell me if worked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.