Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My brother and I have two computers sitting side by side over a LAN.
We have connected the two computers and a Cable modem to a HUB.
The main computer connects to the internet using Dial-up and we use Proxymitron to share the connection.
Most of the time everything works fine, but when we play LAN games we loose connection at random times but the internet and file sharing keep working.
If we try to connect again the game can't even find the host (the main computer).
After the game disconnects, the client (the second computer) has to restart the game so we can play again.
This is very frustrating because we can't play more than a few minutes without having to restart the game and wait for it to load again.
This happens in EVERY single game we tried.
We both use NOD32 untivirus, WinXP and Motherboard Monitor 5.

We use a Genious Fast Ethernet N-Way Switch set to cross-over with the modem attached to port #1, the main computer to #2 and the second to #3.

This is probably irrelevant but the second computer's internet is a lot slower than the main's. We figured that it's because the main computer has a bandwith priority over the other one.
We know our way around hardware and software but unfortunately we don't have a lot of experience with networking. :4-dontkno

Any help will be appreciated.

Zelman

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I don't understand this setup. why are you using two seperate internet connections when you have a hub and a cable connection? Why do you have a dialup modem in use?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm with him (Points up). The ideal solution would be to have both computers hooked into the router and sharing the internet. You could hook the cable modem up to the WAN port on your router. That way you wouldn't have any problems with bandwith and I don't imagine you would have any problems with disconnects, unless those problems are caused by one of the systems. If you wanna learn more about network you can check out this event being hosted by computer associates. It's called CA World www.ca.com/caworld

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all we don't have a router we have a hub.

The modem is a Dial-up because all the internet providers in Israel (where we live) switched to dial up modems probably because it's harder to steal the connection this way.
However this is irelevant.

The problem isn't about the internet, it's about the LAN.
The LAN disconnects even if we unplug the modem so it's not a factor.
We want to find the reason why our LAN keeps disconnecting.
I can think of a hundred reasons for an internet connection to disconnect, but as far as I know a LAN connection is supposed to be stable.
Ours isn't and we don't know why.
We don't play these games online only on the LAN.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmmm why did you not tell us this information in the first place. You describe a problems that gave me (and I'm sure others) the impression that a) you were playing the games online and b) the problems were internet related.
Why did you not include the fact that you had a) already illimnated the internet as a possible cause of the problem b) state what you had already deduced and c) tell us what you acutally wanted as a solution.

That said. So what you have (if I am not once again being to assuming) is a LAN consisting of two PC's and a hub which is disconnection even when there are not internet connections or any other issues interfering with the connecion?

Please advise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ummmm...... you guys need to read his original post again and open your eyes. He clearly states that he is playing over a LAN!! not the internet! At no point reading his post did i get the idea that his problem was internet related.

Anywayz, I myself am not to clued up on networking, all I can suggest is double checking your physical connections to the machines and to the hub. Are one of your cables possibly faulty, maybe the hub has some kind of fault? Perhaps try uninstalling and reainstalling your network protocols and the like, maybe just uninstall the entire network and reinstall on both machines. What about possible firewall issues? It could very well be something related to one of the machines. Whats the traffic control like on your hub? If i think of anything else ill posts again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're sorry if the original post was confusing, we only mentioned the internet because we guessed that someone will probably ask about it.
We tried to keep the post as clear as possible but I guess that we kept adding stuff and it got a bit messy :).

The sum it up our problem is that our LAN connection which is supposed to be as stable as a connection can get occasionaly disconnects in the middle of games.

BTW we just played Battlefield 2 for two hours straight without problems.
(We played deathmatch 1 VS 1).
We're not saying it is fixed but it is odd that it accurres randomly.
I guess this rules out faulty cables as we don't have to touch them to make it disconnect and connect.
It could however be the hub's software or hardware but we don't know how to make sure.

We'll post if a game disconnects again, we'll try Dungeon Siege 2 tomorrow.
espeed - if we experience any connection problems we'll try reinstalling the network like you suggested.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We unfortunately kept experiancing diconnections... :sad:
However we've just remembered something which might be the cause.
about a month ago we moved the network card in the second computer (the client - see our first post) to another pci slot to make room for a pci exhaust fan.
It then changed it's name in the Device Managment screen from:
"Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC"
to:
"Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #2"
This implies that the pc still "remembers" the card in the old slot and thinks that in the new slot there is a second card.
We assume that this may lead to hardware conflicts.
The thing is that we are not sure if this is the problem and if it is how can we fix it, preferably without returning the card permenantly into it's old slot (but if we have to it's not a big problem)?
Here is an image of the Computer Management Screen:
http://www.geocities.com/zelman_man/computer_managment.JPG
We've tried uninstalling the device:
"Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Schedular Miniport"
but it won't let us, stating that the device may be required to boot up the computer.

PLEASE HELP US!!!
We only have a couple of days left to play before we both have to go to the university and then we won't have any time to play.

PLEASE HURRY!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.