Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My main router upstairs (Router 1) is connected to the internet. LAN port 4 on this router is exclusively configured by ISP to work with cable TV and the STB (set top box) is connected to LAN port 4. STB does not work when connected to other LAN ports.

I want to use a 2nd router downstairs (Router 2) a ZTE f660, to wirelessly bridge with Router 1 and be able to connect the STB to LAN port 4.

How would I go about doing this? The main objective is to be able to use the STB downstairs when needed. Secondary objective is to extend wifi coverage downstairs.

Thank you for your help.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,229 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen an STB that was configured to only use one specific network port on a router, so I can't answer that one. You might want to confirm that with your ISP. You don't connect 2 routers on the same network, but you could turn it into a switch or wireless access point by turning off DHCP on the ZTE. You'd get the best performance if you can run an ethernet cable from your router to a LAN port on the ZTE, then create a 2nd SSID on that access point.

You'd have to check the software in your ZTE to see what other options is has available to extend a network, but it will usually come down to acting as a repeater if set up wirelessly, which halves your speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for taking the time to respond. I figured out why only LAN4 works with the STB. In WAN port binding settings LAN4 was not ticked. So I unticked LAN3 and then the STB worked with that port as well.

But now the problem is I am unable to get the STB working on any of the LAN ports on the bridge router (router 2).

The laptop connected to router-2 works fine which means the bridge has been configured correctly. Router 2 is connected to Router 1 with a LAN cable. Static IP assigned to router 2 192.168.1.100. DHCP turned off. Router 1 DHCP range is 192.168.1.2 to 99.

In router 2 WAN port binding settings all LANs are selected. (I tried with LAN4 unticked as well but STB didn’t work).

Any ideas on how replicate router 1 WAN port binding settings on router 2 so that the STB works when connected to router 2?

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,229 Posts
Sounds like you have the 2nd device connected properly as a network switch or access point, so it is no longer a Router. With that said, I'm pretty sure any other configuration settings should be done in your router. I'm not familiar with the WAN port bindings you're referring to, I'd have to see the software. It sounds like your ISP might be using the port bindings setting instead of port forwarding for the STBs. I haven't seen an ISP do that before. You may want to get some clarification from your ISP or see if they have a forum that can answer that part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts