Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Recently purchased a Toshiba Laptop. It has 256Mb RAM. At the moment, certainly as far as i'm concerned, i'm not running anything particularly strenuous - Football Manager 2006 Gold Demo with occasionally Windows Media Player playing music in the background. I have had a a couple of warning messages from the computer and from the game saying that I was running low on Virtual Memory and this should be addresses, once the game closed because it said it was running dangerously low on memory.

I found the Virtual Memory settings in the Hardware Settings area, but not sure what i did made any difference. Any advice, instruction, clarification would be appreciated...

Thanks

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
go back into virtual memory settings and set it to manual. Set min and max to 512 MB. Apply and reboot. See if this fixes your problem.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
If you have WinXP and any sort of background processes, then 256MB is probably at bit on the weak side. You really do not want to go into using Virtual memory, as this usually slows things down quite a bit.

I recommend a minimum of 512MB RAM for almost all XP machines.

Ctrl, Alt, Del, Task Manager, look at the Performace Tab and see what the Memory Graph indicates, post this info back. Look at the bottom left of the Task Manager for the number of operational processes, anything over about 45 is probably tasking your 256MB of RAM, post back the number of Processes.

Run the Check My Computer utility for info on what RAM your machine will support and what the pricing is:

Check My Computer

JamesO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.