Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Bit of a noob question so figured this was the best place to ask.

I have an LG home theatre set up in my living room. It’s nothing fancy but it does what I need it to do.

Blu Ray and dvd audio pipes through to each speaker independently as expected.

I recently got Netflix and noticed a lot of the films are labelled 5.1 so hooked up an optical cable from the tv to the home theatre. Good news is that I get sound in all the speakers :thumb:. Bad news is that it isn’t independent :sad:. It just seems to be the same audio in each speaker as opposed to being 5.1 surround.

Unfortunately there are no other available connections that I can use. I don’t think the problem is the cable as each speaker is emitting sound. Can anyone suggest what I’m missing? Am I misreading the 5.1 label on Netflix? Does 5.1 only transmit via HDMI and not optical (Told ya I was a noob in this area!)

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this and thanks for any replies in advance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Masterchiefxx17
I'll try to ellaborate.

In a certain scene I know the surround sound is working as it should, specifically the rear left and rear right speakers. I know this because in this scene a plane flies from the right side of the screen to the left. Placing my ear, in turn, to these two speakers I can hear the plane "Passing" from one speaker to the other. This is done via Blu Ray.

I carry out the same "Test" using the same scene in the same film via Netflix the only difference being the audio signal being carried on the optical connection. The rear speakers now only appear to replicate the overall sound. I do not hear the plane "Passing" from left to right.

My understanding is that the audio is "Coded" to each satellite speaker independently to create the surround effect as and when opposed to sound emanating from all the satellite speakers all the time.

Does that differ from your understanding?

Am I wrong in what I'm expecting from Netflix?

Any suggestions to what I could try next?

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,336 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello there Stancestans

Thank you for your time and reply.

The links you kindly supplied were very informative. Now I understand the problem and answer fully.

It's largely academic now but Netflix was streaming directly from the tv itself.

Thanks again :thumb:.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts