Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if putting more memory would compensate the difference of performance between L2 4MB vs L2 2MB?
If so, what memories would be and how much?
Regards.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
In a grand scale, no. L2 cache is not on die, which means that it operates at the full speed of the CPU, and is a lot faster. Cache is also "smart", what I mean is that it caches the most commonly used instructions and data, not just all instructions that the CPU processes. If you have a lot of RAM (at least 1 GB), that will improve performance, maybe beyond the point of a larger cache, but RAM will never really do the same thing as the L2 cache.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard that Intel is changing all E6300 and E6400 procs to 4mb L2 cache and keeping the price the same in 2-3 months, is this true?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
You can get the Core 2 Quad Kentsfield Q6600 for $879 at newegg now. And the Core 2 Quad Q6700 is $985. I would get those instead of the quad core Xeon.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
That would still be an excellent CPU, and remember that the C2D still has HyperThreading, which can give the effect of 4 cores with multithreaded applications.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.