Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello?
I used killdisk to try to wipe out my HDD for a clean WIN XP reinstall, but after using the program my old win xp was still on my HDD, am I useing the program wrong.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi

Its not necessary to use KillDisk or anything other app away from using the clean format option when doing a reinstall off the XP CD.

I think you probably never ran it properly here as it will certainly delete everything; its one of the best softwares out there for it.

How did you use it to format, can you describe further please?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once I started to use the program, I followed the instrucitons and went to local disk, then it said to go to unallocated then it sayed to permanatly erase all data from this device, hit f10, so I did then I restarted my PC and the old winxp was still there. Shuold I have selected local disk and go from there. A bit confused on this.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Do you have the free version (3.1) or licensed pro version?

Is it on a CD or floppy?
Did you boot from it and delete through the DOS method?

The HDD you are trying to format, is it the one that you're using on the system as Master or is it Slave (a secondary HDD)?

Did you start the program by downloading the EXE file named KD WIN.EXE?

I have to be sure where you did what here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like Kalim said though, there is really no need for using 3rd party programs unless if you are trying to wipe away sensitive information. If you have a xp disk then you can format your drive from there.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
giluser,

This is the screen you should get when running the interactive DOS mode (console) with version 3.1 aswell:

If you choose to delete, you have to choose the HDD partition that had the Win on it. It'll then you give a screen like this:

Next is the Disk Erase monitoring screen:

If there are any problems with bad clusters, you'll be advised so

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello avaquado,
The version was the free one and it is on a floopy I am using the HDD as a master. I started the program by downloading the win exe file. Thanks for any help.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
OK. The "free one" is the free version of it; 3.1 and theres a professional licensed version retailing too.

If the HDD is Master, you will have to configure the settings of your computer at bootup to boot from the floppy.

*When the computer starts, on the first black screen (POST) press F8 (some may be F4) and it'll give you a boot from menu.
*Choose boot from floppy A drive and hit enter.

Then you'll get the above screens. Make sure you know what drive letter and name the HDD you want formatting is. Then in the first screen above (similar layout diff keys), choose that drive, press F10 and then the next screen will come up. Follow those instructions and it will definitely be deleted, unless you have a corrupt drive.
If in any case you have a corrupt drive, it will display a prompt and you will be able to abort the deletion.

If it still fails you but shows its been successful in formatting, then use Dban as linderman has stated above.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok, i knew that i was just confused if he was talking about a free windows (??) or a free killdisk. lol. thx for clarification.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.