Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be a common enough complaint, but I have gone through the various posted solutions and have had no luck.

Computer in question is an Asus G53JW laptop with Windows 7 Home Professional 64 bit. It's a fresh install of windows done via the factory restore partition and then updated completely. All drivers have been updated to the latest, including the bios and the chip set.

Internal keyboard and track pad do not work in windows, though the keyboard at least works in BIOS. External keyboard and mouse plugged in through the USB port works in windows and bios, though using it at a certain point while windows boots will cause the system to hang.

Observations
  1. Keyboard works in bios, but can't tell if trackpad is working at this point
  2. Can push F9 to access the asus restore menu, track pad does not work
  3. Cannot launch Asus express gate (Pushing one of the non keyboard buttons while powered down is supposed to launch an embedded linux environment that gives you a web browser and some other basic programs).
  4. External USB keyboard and mouse work (mostly, see point 6 and 7)
  5. Pushing F8 on either keyboard will not allow me access to the windows boot options menu
  6. If I do a hard power down in windows and restart, you get the screen where it asks if you want to boot in safe mode or regular mode and there is a count down timer to when it automatically selects regular boot. If I push any button on either keyboard the system seems to hang (count down timer stops, nothing happens after significant amount of time.)
  7. When it says starting windows, if I push any key on the external keyboard, the system will hang (can tell because the lights don't finish forming the windows logo and nothing happens after significant amount of time).
  8. Pushing keys on the internal keyboard at the same point doesn't cause the hang
  9. In the past, the keyboard lights would come on and then turn themselves off until the windows logon screen where I would then have to turn them on.
  10. However now the lights stay on, don't go out and pushing the button to turn them off and on does nothing.
  11. In device manager in "devices by type" view, there is nothing with an exclamation mark
  12. However if you switch to "resources by type" view, there is an exclamation on IRQ12 labeled Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad
  13. Going into properties, the device status is: "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed (Code 24)

Touchpad Trouble Shooting
  • Uninstall and delete the Synaptics drivers
  • reboot
  • there is nothing listed for IRQ 12 anymore
  • install the synaptics drivers
  • there is nothing listed for IRQ 12
  • reboot
  • We are back to showing the Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad on IRQ 12 with the exclamation mark

Keyboard Troubleshooting
  • Keyboard shows as "keyboard Device Filter" in device manager
  • uninstall and delete keyboard drivers
  • reboot
  • Bottom right popup says device Standard PS/2 Keyboard installed successfully
  • However there is also a window in the middle of the screen saying "You must restart you computer to apply these changes"
  • Select Restart later
  • internal keyboard still doesn't work in notepad
  • internal keyboard now shows as StandardPS/2 Keyboard in device manager
  • install Asus keyboard drivers (KBFilter_WIN7_64_1003)
  • reboot
  • internal keyboard again shows as Keyboard Device Filter in device manager
  • internal keyboard still doesn't work

Other things tried
  • Remove power, remove battery, hold down power button for 1 minute
  • did complete reinstall of system from factory restore partition (twice)
  • updated all drivers
  • updated windows completely
  • In BIOS selected F9 to restore optimized defaults
  • In BIOS selected "restore defaults"
  • deleting and installing drivers in safe mode
  • ensured Internal Pointing Device was enabled in BIOS
  • ensured Legacy USB support was enabled in BIOS
  • booted with Ubuntu live DVD, internal keyboard and track pad did not work

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
41,122 Posts
booted with Ubuntu live DVD, internal keyboard and track pad did not work
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Hardware, look for Trackpad, or Legacy USB, if these are disabled, Enable them.
Does a USB keyboard and mouse work? Can you use the onscreen keyboard?
If they are enabled in Bios but they don't work in Ubuntu, there is liquid damage and they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks spunk.funk for the reply.

I have already ensured that the track pad and legacy USB were enabled in BIOS (see points 8 and 9 of other things tried).

Since the keyboard works in BIOS I assume there is no liquid damage there. But the track pad doesn't seem to show connected in windows device manager so I suppose there could be damage there.

Regardless, even though the trackpad doesn't show connected in windows, I can't see why the keyboard would work in BIOS and not windows.

·
Registered
41,122 Posts
Trackpad not working in Ubuntu and Windows would mean the ribbon cable is unplugged from the motherboard, or it is liquid damaged.
You didn't say if you tried the onscreen keyboard, and/or a USB keyboard and mouse?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.