Tech Support banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using Windows 10 Home, version 20H2, build 19042.685.

Okay, this is a pretty long story. I've had my computer (an Alienware) for a few years with minimal issues, but one day the keyboard stopped working. Moving the keyboard from one USB port to another sometimes got it working for a few minutes and sometimes did nothing at all.

(So far as I can tell, every USB device I have other than a keyboard works fine regardless of which USB port it's plugged into.)

I tried updating the drivers (no good, I already had the latest drivers) and so on. Eventually, I did the obvious and picked up a new keyboard, but it had exactly the same issues (so I presume the problem was never the keyboard itself).

Weeks passed and I got annoyingly accustomed to typing on the on-screen keyboard, but eventually I spotted something on the Internet that suggested uninstalling the keyboard driver. I figured "sure, why not" and did that...and almost immediately the keyboard worked again!

I was overjoyed, until 2-3 days later when it stopped working again. Uninstalling the driver again didn't seem to help.

On a whim, I tried uninstalling the driver and then plugging in my old keyboard, the one that came with the computer. That one worked for several weeks and then crapped out again.

Currently, my old keyboard occasionally works and mostly doesn't. If I plug it in, usually it works for a minute or so and then stops working; if I unplug it before it stops working and replug it in, I can generally keep it working long enough to type whatever I need to type (like this), but if I leave it plugged in until it stops working then I end up having to uninstall the drivers (and/or reboot the computer) to get it to start (temporarily) working again.

I have no idea what's going on, or why it would work for a bit and then stop. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Is there any chance a different keyboard would help? (I don't know if it matters what brand it is; the one I'm using now is a Dell keyboard, the other one I tried is a Seenda.) I'm not sure if a different variety of keyboard might use a different driver than the one I've reinstalled several dozen times.

·
Premium Member
41,507 Posts
Is this keyboard Wireless or Wired? Are you plugging this into the Back USB port of the computer or the Front or thru a USB Hub? Get a brand new Wired USB keyboard and plug it into the Back USB port directly not the front or thru a Hub as these diminish the power.
If you still have issues then
Press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
In the Run dialog box, type notepad and hit Enter to open Notepad.

Copy and paste the syntax below into the text editor.

Code:
@echo off
date /t & time /t
echo Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
echo ...
date /t & time /t
echo Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
echo ...
date /t & time /t
echo SFC /scannow
SFC /scannow
date /t & time /t
pause
Save the file with a name and append the .bat file extension – eg; SFC_DISM_scan.bat.

Repeatedly run the batch file with admin privilege (right-click the saved file and select Run as Administrator from the context menu) until it reports no errors.

Restart your PC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's wired. I used to plug it into the back, but nowadays it only seems to (temporarily) work when plugged into (a specific) one of the front USB ports; I get an error message if I plug it into one of the back ports, and nothing at all happens when plugged into a different front USB port.

Again, it's just the keyboard that has this issue -- everything else (external hard drives, gamepad etc.) works fine in any USB port.

I will try your suggestion, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then use a Brand New USB Keyboard, not used
I'll try that, thanks.

Admittedly, trying a new keyboard didn't work last time, but it's entirely possible that the keyboard I bought was already faulty. It was a pretty cheap one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please try these solutiobn: One of it will work:
Blow Away Dust

Over time, a keyboard accumulates dust and debris particles that coat the sides and undersides of the keys, impeding and impairing their functioning. Even those who never snack while using their computer may find this type of debris causing a problem. Canned, compressed air makes a great solution, so pick up a can at your local office supply store and use it regularly to blow the debris out from under the keys. You might be surprised to see what has accumulated.
Liquid Spills?

If you’ve spilled or splashed a beverage on your keyboard recently, this could be the cause of a keyboard outage. This is especially true for sticky beverages such as soda or fruit juices. Address this issue by cleaning between the keys using a thin, clean cloth and a little warm water or a few drops or rubbing alcohol. A cotton swab may also be effective in getting between the keys of a dirty or sticky keyboard. However, larger spills may result in damage beyond simple clean ups. They may require the replacement of several keys or even the whole keyboard.
Issues with a Driver

The driver for the keyboard may also be responsible for malfunctioning keyboards. This is often the case when using third-party software, or if a user does not follow proper procedure when turning a computer off. (Always use the “Shut Down” command.) If the driver is damaged, you may be able to download a replacement driver and resolve this issue. If downloading a new driver is not possible, it may be time to seek out a professional repair service.

Click here and read my blog

1 - 7 of 7 Posts