Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason or other, the keyboard on my computer has chosen to stop functioning. I though it was either a bad keyboard, or a bad plug on my motherboard. Luckily I found out it wasn't the latter as I was able to hook up my brother's keyboard to my computer. I also tested my father's keyboard as well, and it worked also. Yet when I went and bought a replacement keboard, the the replacement I bought didn't work. The only connection between the ones that didn't work and the difference between those and the ones that did work is that the ones that didn't work had power management keys. I suspect that it is the abnormality with this feature that has caused my computer to restart suddenly on several occasions. How do I fix this problem so at least my old keyboard works again? I really don't want to go by another keyboard if I don't have to, but it seems that now no keyboard with power management keys will work on my computer. I've already run Norton Antivirus and Error-checkiing on my hard drive, but it didn't help. What should I do?

Windows Xp Pro
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with 256MB
AMD AthlonXP 2500
80Gig Hard Drive
VIA KT400 Chipset Based KT4V Motherboard

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Exus
I don't know exactly what to do, but I will offer a few suggestions since no-one else has answered.
Try going to 'control panel>keyboards' and poking around in there for some settings that may help you out.
You could also try to uninstall you keyboard(right-click on your KB and choose 'uninstall') from within 'device manager>keyboards' and reboot your system with your keyboard plugged in, allowing winxp to redetect your keyboard and reinstall its drivers.

Keep us posted of your progress.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for trying help, but unfortunately it didn't work. I tried pluggin in the keyboard and then rebooting, but unfortunately that didn't work. The Lock lights did flash, but then nothing else. I checked under Device Manager and found that my PC doesn't even acknowledge that the keyboards even attached to it. I don't understand why this would suddenly happen. I never had such a problem before. What I found searching on the web mentions stuff about ACPI functionality in relation to the power management keys, which I suspect are the culprits here. Beyond that, I really have no idea as to what to do.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Is the bios set to stop on keyboard errors?
If it is then it is possible an OS issue.
Suggestion: Go into device manager and disable the keyboard, restart windows should find new hardware and reinstall the drivers. :4-dontkno

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.