Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

We are a high school class working on taking apart computers.
We have reasembled them but are having a keyboard error.
Can someone help us get into CMOS or BIOS without using a keyboard?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...oh yeah,

I forgot to mention that we are in groups of four is this class and are all having the same problem. Yes, we have checked the ports and cleaned them thoroughly.

Please Help! :upset:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
hey there
heres another tip :
try clearing CMOS by taking out the battery (its usually button-type battery somewhere on the motherboard)...
on some motherboards you have to keep the battery out for a specific amount of time, on some you have to power it up without the battery and on others you have to use a "clear CMOS" jumper in addition to taking out the battery...
if you want you can post the specs of your motherboard and we can help you with clearing out your CMOS settings...

HTH

later

P.S.
posting tip :
try sticking to one post, its easier to track all the answers... :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
keyboard error

hey,

we tried starting up the computer without the battery and nothing happend. maybe there is something else wrong. another person in our class said that there could be a problem with windows. is that possible?

you mentioned using a "clear CMOS" jumper in addition to taking out the battery, how do we do this. also, what are the specs of our motherboard that you need in order to clear out CMOS?

P.S. we really appreciate all the help Merlin!

MHSTECH5-2 :confused:

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Well, we could help you better if you can tell us the type of motherboard you have, or if your not sure,tell us the name of the computer you were using...

I know for a fact that when I had to clear my cmos I had to remove the jumper and battery and leave it out for 5 minutes, then power up then replace the battery!

One other solution, could it be that the keyboard port is damaged?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Not very likely if not impossible that it is a problem with windows.....the BIOS is the only thing that checks for a keyboard and mouse and windows only refers to that.... Have you tried a different keyboard? I agree with RZA that the keyboard port might be damaged, in which case you need to either buy a new motherboard, or find someone who's good at soldering to take the old port out and put a new one in. It's worth a try, anyway (but make that your last resort, you don't want to screw that up and then find out it was something else).

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
A very common problem with keyboards - bent pins. Users shoving the connector in to fast. Take a close look at the end of the keyboard cable to make sure none of the pins are bent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.