Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboard not working

1K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  pat mcgroin 
#1 ·
it just randomly stopped working. im using the on screen keyboard but this is not a long term solution. im running vista on a studio 15 laptop. any help would be great. thanks

#6 ·
1.) You asked if my laptop uses any drivers for the keyboard. I'm not sure how to find this out but when I went to device manager and clicked the Driver tab, I got this information;

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 6/21/06
Driver Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Driver Signer: Microsoft Windows

Also, when I clicked on Driver Details, there were two files listed; C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys and C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys

2.) I looked in Device Manager and it says "This device is working properly".

#8 ·
That is odd I posted a respone a few minutes ago to you and it didnt show up.

I looked at the page for drivers for your computer and there are none listed for the keyboard. The fact that you have the MS drivers would suggest that no additional ones are needed.
Oddly there is one for a Logitech wireless keyboard there.
Im not sure why that would be needed on a laptop but it is there.

Unfortunatly since it is a laptop it does complicate things as you cant try other keyboards and a keyboard test program will basically only show stuck keys or keys that dont work.
I dont see that as being helpful in your case.
Your option may be to have it looked at.
Is it possibly still under warrenty?

Im sorry that I cant help more, due to limited laptop knowledge but please dont give up on this thread because I sent a PM to someone who may have additional ideas.

This is a link to your system drivers if you may ever need them.
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...stemID=STUDIO1555&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

As for the virus that was caught, I wouldnt think it to be an issue as it was caught days earlier.

#14 ·
I am happy to report that my keyboard just suddenly started working, for no apparent reason. This does worry me because I can't afford to have my keyboard go out on me for days at a time but I'll settle for it working now.

The model is 1555.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.