Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad's eMachine recently fried a bit. I came home to a strangish smell in the room where it sits. After trying to power it on, nothing happened. I figured something could be wrong with the power supply. So i took it out and sure enough there was a capacitor bouncing around inside. The only other power supply I had was from a much older emachines computer, so i figured to give it a try. It was a bit smaller and i don't know much about power supplies. Now it booted up as far as the logon screen but the keyboard/mouse didnt work, they were both ps/2. Now i plugged my usb mouse into it and it worked.

So i'm wondering if maybe the powersupply couldnt provide enough power to get the ps2 ports working. that seems unlikely. Or maybe those were just fried along with the power supply? Any suggestions on what i could do to trouble shoot this are welcome cause its a decent computer and i'd hate to toss it. Thanks,

Kyle

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. It is possible that the psu took the keyboard and mouse and/or ports out when it went bad....try them on another computer if you can. It is also possible that the new psu is not enough. Try the keyboard and mouse in another computer first before buying a new psu. You can always use a usb keyboad and mouse if you'd rather not get rid of the machine (depending on what you find out) If you do need a new psu, make sure to read the psu selection guide linked in my signature. Post back what you find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright well I have since found out that the keyboard is fried. A bit of a ray of hope but not really since the ports still could be dead at this point I don't know because: my dad snaked the memory out of it/along with the hard drive. Need to figure out where it got to before I can test the rest. Also i looked at the wattage on the psu i was trying, and it was only 150...the old one that busted was 250 so..yeah. If i have to i'll use the one in my own computer for testing. Will post back when I find out more. Thanks for the reply--
Kyle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.