Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post here, I just dont know where else to turn. Here is my situation.

I had a P3-750 512 RAM Geforce 4 card USB optical mouse PS/2 keyboard running windows XP.

I upgraded to the KT3 Ultra Motherboard, Athlon 2000 + XP, bought a 1 stick 512 DDR ram and a new case with powersupply (350 watt i think).

First problem is CPU speed showing up as 1250 during bootup.

Now here is the main problem. It stumps everyone that I know. I can press Del it works. I can hit F8 and select everything and its fine. Keyboard works in Dos. When I get to WIN XP login screen both keyboard and mouse do not work. Computer doesnt freeze, because of the blinking cursor. I have tried everything I know, I have used both USB keyboard and mouse and PS/2 keyboard and mouse and the various combinations of the 4. Tried ALL the UBS plugs in the computer. NOTHING. Really pulling out hair here.

Please provide any help you can for either or both problems.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Do you have PRO or Home, ie at your login screen do you have to unlock it with the Ctrl Alt Del combo, or do you get taken right to the username password screen?

Also, a blinking cursor could still be a frozen system, try pressing and holding any letter on the keyboard and see if you start getting beeps, (only works if your PC speaker works :) )

oh, and welcome to the board..:D:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
keyboard/mouse

Its the one where you can type in your password right away. Mouse is showing up in the middle of the screen but cannot be moved. Alt-Ctrl-Del does nothing. Holding down a button generates no sound and the speak is woring. The num lock button is on and cannot be turned off. The sysem is not frozen because when I hit the off button it changes screens into Windows is shutting down.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Try using only the PS2 keyboard and mouse, don't have the USB keyboard and mouse plugged in at the same time...also are you getting any keyboard errors on the bios screen?

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums avengus.....................:D

The first thing is to get it to read the CPU speed properly.

I'll D/L your manual and have a look to see if I can learn something.

With these things your always learning something.........LOL

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Can you hit f8 and get into safe mode...does that work...

Can you get into the recovery console and try uninstalling the video driver...a bad drive will give you the effect of a locked system

S

·
0 Posts
What brand of hard drive are you using?

If you changed your Motherboard and CPU and are using the same hard drive without wiping and reloading you are going to have all kinds of issues.

I would recommend backing up all of your vital information and wiping the drive.

Make sure you have all of your drivers beforehand.

Then do a clean install...............:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It Worked!

Thank you for your time guys and the wonderful help. Changed the speed to 133 and CPU is now displaying correctly. Formatted HD and installed windows 2000 and works perfectly so far. Much thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Command Prompt

This is in reply to a closed post titled "Command Prompt". You were asking how to get a command prompt in Windows XP.

You can do this the same way you would with windows 9x, which would several ways. Here are two:

Start Menu / All Programs / Accessories / Command Prompt

or

Start Menu / Run... / Type "Command" and click "Ok".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
command prompt

spyder:
I meant how to get to command promt without getting into windows. When safemode /w command prompt doesnt work and when I cant get into windows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, Now that I have read it again I see that I misunderstood the question.

There is a way to start windows XP in DOS, (yes, it is there) and I will try to find that way out for you without having to use a floppy disk. I can probably have the answer this evening.

I know this doesn't help your situation now, but this is for future refrence. You should be able to start your computer in DOS in the future by doing the following steps:

To create an MS-DOS startup disk
The MS-DOS startup disk you create will allow you to boot into MS-DOS.

1. Insert a floppy disk into your computer's floppy drive.

2. Open My Computer, and then click the floppy disk drive to select it.

3. On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.

4. Under Format options, click Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
Click Start.

I have not done this yet, have not had a reason to. Though, this is the manner in which you are supposed to perform this action according to the books.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.