Tech Support banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Win 10; 2004.
I am using a Casflex BT keyboard (could responders please refrain, for the time being, on commenting on the wisdom of my choice, please?) with which the keyboard actions do not match the key labels. I would like some advice on how to correct this.

I have used this keyboard for more than a year now; from the start there were minor inconsistencies in the mapping for little used keys which I could live with, but over the last few months the number of 'mismatches' has become an issue. This change is probably a user-error (but I have no idea what I did), rather than the update of Win10 to version 2004. My keyboard layout setting is set to "English (United Kingdom) - United Kingdom"

I tried using the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center software, but this apparently works only on MS designed devices: at the very least it couldn't detect the keyboard I'm using now.

Here are some examples of the current 'mismatches' (please refer to the attached keyboard photo I hope I have attached):

The '@' and '"' keys are interchanged.
The 'Del' key is non functional (but the key works fine under Linux).
I cannot access the Euro symbol on the '2' key, nor the '#' symbol on the '3' key (I got the '#' example you see here by pressing the key labelled with the back-slash and broken-bar symbols above the enter key)
Pressing the back-slash key produces a # sign as just stated.
The backslash key is accessed by pressing the right hand 'alt' key in combination with the back-slash key.
Pressing the shifted back-slash key produces a ~ character
Pressing the (shifted) tilde key (top left corner of keyboard) produces a ¬ character.
The 'esc' key produces unpredictable results: in the browser (Brave) it opens a new browser window. Within Word it has no effect. In settings it opens a new browser window and switches focus to that window.
The blue 'fn' keys are generally non-operative

What do I do to customise my keyboard to correct these mismatches ?

Attachments

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,463 Posts
Trying to look up that keyboard.....the casflex website gives a big red triangle warning. So I'm going any further on their website.

Are there a driver/software package to download? If so, have you tried to update it?

Since you stated that you've had issues with it from the start....probably should have returned it as defective.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,554 Posts
The '@' and '"' keys are interchanged.
Sounds like British keyboard. Why not go to "Region" in Control Panel and change to US Keyboard all through as well as in the task bar near the time.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,336 Posts
The website forces https while using an expired certificate! There are no driver downloads available, so why would it need one when it's peddled as a "UK keyboard compatible with all iOS, Android and Windows devices"?

What's with the "UK Keyboard" annotation? Does that somehow imply that it has a UK keyboard layout? Not even close! It looks more like a US keyboard layout, so you should probably change your keyboard layout to US for a closer match. What a magnificent waste of money (I believe I've refrained long enough)!

·
Registered
40,724 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's with the "UK Keyboard" annotation? Does that somehow imply that it has a UK keyboard layout? Not even close! It looks more like a US keyboard layout, so you should probably change your keyboard layout to US for a closer match. What a magnificent waste of money
Change to US layout makes no difference to any of the mismatches I listed. The '"' and '@' keys problem is particularly aggravating, especially when handling email.

(I believe I've refrained long enough)!c
Quite possibly, given the provocation, but I was hoping for more. I've already given myself considerable grief over this choice. Annoying thing is that the keyboard works almost perfectly with my Android box (used with my TV).

·
5,336 Posts
Take a look at https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/apple/mac-keyboard-windows-pc-3693542/

Switching keyboard layouts from UK to US should have an effect. With the US keyboard, the @ symbol is on the num key 2, while the double quotes replace it in the UK layout. I don't think you've changed layouts, because changing them should have an effect. If the program you're testing layouts with doesn't recognise the changes, then restart the program. I use Notepad for that and I don't remember if it ever needed a restart to use the new layout. The US layout should work well with that keyboard.

·
5,336 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
5,336 Posts
A good number of the critical reviews cited connectivity problems, poor battery life and overall poor build quality with keys falling off! If none of these affect the unit you have, then the layout creator program should get you out of the woods. The info here https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/apple/mac-keyboard-windows-pc-3693542/ should get you accustomed to the keyboard's special function keys in no time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looking further here https://keyshorts.com/blogs/blog/37615873-how-to-identify-macbook-keyboard-localization#us-english it seems the UK and US English Mac keyboard layouts are similar, and the @ and " keys are not toggled as is the case with Windows keyboard layouts. Your keyboard is in fact a UK English Mac keyboard, but a matching keyboard layout is not available in Windows. You have to create it using a program as explained here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202676
Just to round this off: 'for the time being' has now elapsed: suitably vituperative comments on my choice of keyboard are invited....

Because the guidance I have received here - sending me, finally, to the MS Keyboard Layout Creator - has been successful in removing this considerable PITA of using a keyboard, designed for Mac, under Windows 10. To be fair to the keyboard, it works OK and is small ( a key requirement); no mechanical failures at all; solidly made; battery life is months (last changed in March; daily use). BT pairing takes between 1 hour and 1 week, depending on how lucky you are. (This whole BT pairing task is a fiasco in every environment I have tried it - the industry needs to look at the standards it has created for this process).

Interesting the MSKLC application looks like it was designed for Windows Millennium (updated) but actually works well under Win 10 and has a most readable help file. Unique.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts