Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months ago, I was merging partition's in partition magic, and got an error, which in some way, nuked my harddrive. At the time, I had no idea how I could get windows back on my computer (This computer was built by a friend of a relative, and he didn't give us the cd, and I have no way to contact him) So, I went ahead and installed linux, just as a crutch till I could get Windows back, (The PC is used mostly for gaming, so linux isn't working too well for its uses).

Well, the other day I was going through some boxes, and found my old windows XP SP2 reinstallation CD from dell, along with the CD key i'd written on the case it was in. So, I attempted to install it, and it worked fine, the setup got to "loading windows.." then came to the screen where it asked for me to hit enter to install windows, R to recover a broken windows installation, or F3 to quit.. I hit enter, then f8 to get past the EULA, and when it came to the partition screen, the lights on the keyboard (until this point numlock had been on) turned off, and the keyboard froze, not allowing me to go any farther.

Thinking it was the fact that the keyboard was USB, and I was using a converter or put it in it's original slot, I took off the converter.. same problem, only this time it stopped at the EULA, So I tried with a non-usb keyboard, same problem, stopped at the selection screen, then the EULA, and once at the "loading windows.." screen (though, this keyboard has a "power" light, and it did stay on). Thinking it was maybe the disk, I borrowed a friend's windows xp cd, figuring since they are both xp professional SP2, the cdkey would work all the same, only.. same problem.

Someone suggested my computer might confusing my keyboard with something else, i've unplugged everything but my monitor, keyboard, and power cord.. the problem persists

Also thinking that my it may have been because my entire HDD was partitioned, I unpartitioned the 1024 mb I had partitioned for swap.. nothing changed.. Also, i'm not trying to preserve linux/dual boot, if need be, once I get past this keyboard problem, i'll delete the entire linux partition.

Oh, and since then, the installation has frozen a multiple parts.. once at the "press f6 to install third-party raid drivers" one at "common host drivers" and a few times at "setup is starting windows.. and I know it isn't the fact that my BIOS is outdated, because prior to me accidentally nuking it, windows was on the computer and working fine.

Any suggestions?

(Err.. probably should have said this earlier, i'm on a intel pentium 4, 2.80 ghz, with 1024 mb of ram.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've confirmed it isn't the keyboard.. but rather the actual setup freezing

Through some persistent trying, and use of this computer (which is on windows) i've managed to get my hdd blank, and partition/format it with the windows setup, now it either freezes like normal the the selection screen, or gets to "copying files from cd" and at 19,28,or 38% (all "big" files which take it a moment to copy) it stops reading the cd and just stops working.. this is getting frustrating =/

·
1,438 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.